More of the same please, says Hibs boss

Pat Fenlon
Pat Fenlon
Have your say

Pat FENLON today shrugged off the disappointment of losing to Rangers to tell his Hibs stars: “Give me that every week and we shouldn’t have a problem.”

A double strike from Ibrox ace Nikica Jelavic – the first from the penalty spot – left the Easter Road outfit tied at the bottom of the SPL table on 14 points with Dunfermline and Aberdeen.

But Fenlon insisted there were encouraging signs from his side which should make fans more optimistic about the future, starting with Saturday’s match at Pittodrie.

He said: “I’m not jumping up and down saying it was a great performance, but it was a good performance. It’s difficult after games when you have lost to be happy or positive, but we saw stuff which we can take a lot out of.

“Everything was there that we asked from the players, they worked really hard and kept the ball at times really well. The position we are in is not good but we have to try to build and work our way up.

“Hopefully the supporters got a little bit of encouragement in what they have seen. I think they have seen a team that was willing to work very hard for the cause. We just need to add a few more things and we will win games and climb the table.

“I think we saw in the 45 minutes against Motherwell land in the 90 against Rangers that if we get that commitment, work-rate and honesty every week then we should not have a problem.”

Fenlon was left to rue a Leigh Griffiths miss on the stroke of half-time and a Paul Hanlon header which cleared the bar only minutes after Jelavic’s opener, claiming they were the best two chances of the game.

He said: “If we score just before half-time it’s a different game, it puts a bit of pressure on them.

“I didn’t have to say anything to Leigh, he’s more disappointed than anyone.”

Meanwhile, Griffiths could be in trouble with the SFA after making a gesture towards the Rangers support at Easter Road, although referee Iain Brines did appear to have a word in his ear afterwards.

Hibs’ Under-19 side saw their eight-match unbeaten run smashed as they crashed out of the SFA Youth Cup with a 3-0 defeat by St Mirren.