No January sales at Gers says McCoist

0
Have your say

Rangers manager Ally McCoist claims he has not been told by owner Craig Whyte to offload players before he can strengthen his squad this month.

The Ibrox boss is keen to make use of the January window to bolster his resources, with attacking options even more of a priority now that Kyle Lafferty has been sidelined for around seven weeks through injury.

McCoist has held talks with the chairman and says Whyte is in agreement that new players must be recruited over the next few weeks.

He said: “I sat down and had a good chat with Craig. He is of the same opinion as myself.

“There has not been an exact figure in terms of how much cash we have to spend or what we need to do.

“But I would reassure you that he is as keen to bring players in - especially in the forward areas - as I am.

McCoist has been linked with two former Rangers strikers, Nacho Novo and Kris Boyd, but insists no moves have been made to bring either back to Ibrox so far.

And McCoist confirmed no offers have been received yet for top goalscorer Nikica Jelavic, who has been linked with a move to the Barclays Premier League.

He said: “There has been a lot of talk but there have been absolutely no offers for Nikica Jelavic, which, at this moment in time, pleases me. That might change and if it does, we will keep you up to speed.

“The most important thing for the Rangers fans is that he trained this morning and he will travel with us to Arbroath for the cup tie on Sunday.”