North Merchiston spoil Musselburgh Windsor party

Musselburgh Windsor
Musselburgh Windsor
Have your say

Musselburgh Windsor 19s tasted defeat at home for the second time in a row this season in Division 1 as a resurgent North Merchiston took all three points to win 5-3 on Saturday.

In a pulsating league clash at Pinkie, the home side started the game on fire with two goals in the first 11 minutes, but North Merchiston proved to be the better side and went home with the win.

Windsor – showing off their league title from last term – went ahead through Jack McIntyre on four minutes, the forward pouncing on a loose back pass to round the goalkeeper and finish. Ryan McConville then doubled their advantage shortly after.

North Merchiston fought back, however, and the impressive Hamish Law got them back in the game. A cross was played in from the right in to Law and the energetic forward struck low and hard from eight yards out.

Eight minutes after the 
restart, Merchiston’s skipper Calum Baptie got his side level with a half-volley and it took just four minutes for Law to get his brace – a powerful strike was parried by Windsor No.1 Daniel Laing, but only to the feet of Law, who made no mistake. Jordon Burrows’ lob levelled the game for Windsor at 3-3 and at that stage the game could have gone either way.

However, Merchiston stepped up a gear and made sure of the points with goals from Fraser Eddington and a second strike from captain Baptie at the death.

Super Ryan

Craigroyston 14s progressed from the first round of the Kenny McLean Cup with an incredible 6-5 away victory over Fernieside.

The visitors took a two-goal lead early on through James Tipton and Darren Hunter, but despite a Fernie comeback, they held on for the win that ensures they will face Redhall Star in the second round.

Ryan Shanley got Craigroyston’s third, with Andrew Hall pulling one back for Fernieside in the first half.

Taylor Mitchell extended the away side’s lead just after the break before Wayne Alexander scored to again give hope to the home side. Shanley got his 
second soon after, Hunter crossing to the back post, before a Tommy Hendry double got the hosts within a goal of the opposition.

Shanley grabbed his hat- trick before a late surge from Fernieside made it interesting, but skipper Gary Tickle’s 25-yard goal was all they could manage in the end.

Craigroyston’s coach Colin Dudgeon was delighted for his side. He said: “They put a lot of hard work in and I think we showed we wanted to win the cup tie more.”

Loan streets ahead

Loanhead Miners 16s ran out emphatic 6-1 winners in their Division 2 match with Edinburgh South Reds at Memorial Park. It gave the side their first win of the league campaign while Edinburgh South Reds succumbed to a third defeat in a row.

Euan Greig’s left-footed drive after a neat passing move gave Loanhead the lead, but Craig Skirving equalised for Edinburgh South Reds on 50 minutes, when he slipped the ball past the advancing goalkeeper.

Phil Alexander’s impressive turn and volley put the hosts back in front, and Cammy Halliday increased their lead soon after.

Ciaran Lawrence despatched a 25-yard free kick into the top corner to all but seal the points for the Miners, before a Connor Clapperton brace made sure of the points.

Loanhead’s Andrew Somerville said: “It was a very competitive first half but our patience and passing game was too strong for Edinburgh South Reds.”