Tennis: Murray pulls out of World Tour finals

0
Have your say

ANDY MURRAY called a premature end to his 2011 season in London to ensure he does not compromise his chances in 2012.

The world No. 3 revealed after Monday’s straight-sets defeat by David Ferrer at the O2 Arena that he was considering pulling out of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals with a left groin strain. The signs did not look good when he failed to show for a scheduled practice session at 1pm and he announced at a press conference late yesterday afternoon that he had indeed made the difficult decision to withdraw.

Murray had kept the injury, which he suffered in practice last Monday, quiet prior to the tournament but he confirmed today he had been told to rest completely for up to ten days. “I couldn’t give anywhere near my best. So that’s what was disappointing. I would probably do myself more damage by playing than not,” he said.

Murray is no stranger to playing through niggles and he is renowned as someone who only pulls out of tournaments as a last resort. The last time he withdrew midway through an event was in Dubai nearly three years ago while his only retirement during a match came in Hamburg in 2007 when he snapped a tendon in his wrist. Murray’s place in Group A will be taken by world No. 9 Janko Tipsarevic.