Accies coach yet to find key to victory

Accies NO.9 Alex Glashan kicked conversions
Accies NO.9 Alex Glashan kicked conversions
Have your say

Edinburgh Accies coach Phil Leck endured another tough Saturday afternoon as he watched his side surrender a lead in the closing minutes of the BT Premiership clash with leaders Gala at Raeburn Place.

A hat-trick of tries from full back Ruaridh Young plus two conversions by Alex Glashan moved Accies into a 19-11 lead with half an hour to play.

But Gala squared matters entering in the final 15 minutes and Accies were left shattered for a third-successive week when Rex Jeffries bagged a converted try to hand Gala a 26-19 win and leave Leck’s men with only a narrow-defeat bonus point for their efforts.

Across the city, Boroughmuir suffered a 34-16 reverse at home to Ayr. Two penalties by Graeme Blackhall handed Boroughmuir an early lead, but the in-form visitors struck back to lead 10-6 at the break. Ayr extended their lead with two tries before Ian Martin and Magnus Bradbury touched down to haul the Capital side back into the match. However, the visitors had the last word when Kerr Gossman dotted down to complete the scoring.

In BT National Division One, Stewarts Melville welcomed pacesetters Selkirk. Kick-off was delayed after the Borderers’ bus broke down, but the visitors were quickly into their stride with a try and two penalties. StewMel struck back with a try from Matt Morrell, converted by Nick McCashin, who also booted a penalty to leave the hosts a point adrift at half-time. McCashin and Scott Welsh exchanged penalties and the home stand off appeared to have snatched the victory with another three pointer two minutes from full time.

However, Welsh snatched the win with a late, late penalty, leaving the Inverleith side with a bonus point.

Elsewhere, Watsonians bagged all five points when they saw off Kelso 44-12 at Myreside. Reiss Cullen claimed two tries and there was one apiece for Jake Kerr, Martin Christie, Ally Miller and Chad Northcott while Ross Aitken, Cullen and Northcott shared the kicking duties to contribute the other points.

Haddington faced a tough assignment in Division Two. The lowest-ranked club faced pacesetters Howe of Fife at home. But the East Lothian side produced a battling effort before going down 66-19.

Musselburgh welcomed unbeaten Falkirk to Stoneyhill, and home lock Mikey Roy and Falkirk hooker Lewis Skinner were red carded shortly before Danny Owenson kicked a penalty to square matters at 28-28 and earn a share of the spoils. Livingston beat Adrossan Accies 20-19 at Almond Park.

RHC Cougars and Preston Lodge fought out a tight affair at Barnton before PL emerged as 22-18 winners – a first defeat of the campaign for the hosts. But there was disappointment for Lasswade as they lost 18-15 at West of Scotland. Murrayfield Wanderers were beaten 33-15 at home to Perthshire.