Agony at Melrose for never-say-die Heriot’s

Melrose celebrate. Pic: Toby Williams
Melrose celebrate. Pic: Toby Williams
Have your say

Heriot’s had to settle for two bonus points after a spectacular injury time fight back fell agonisingly short in a 44-43 BT Premiership defeat against Melrose at the Greenyards.

Trailing 44-22 as the clock ticked past 80 minutes – Jono Armstrong, Rory Carmichael and Davy McGregor had a try each and Graham Wilson kicked the rest – Heriot’s ended a point adrift after a desperate finale yielded a penalty try and touchdowns by James Fleming and Joe Nayacavou, all converted by Wilson.

Heriot’s had beaten Currie seven days earlier and the Malleny Park men were desperate to get their campaign back on track at Ayr. Two penalties from Joe Reynolds edged Currie into a 6-3 interval lead but the visitors added only a consolation second-half try by Reynolds in a 20-11 loss.

Former Currie player George Horne was the tormentor as Edinburgh Accies suffered another painful defeat, this time at Glasgow Hawks. Accies led 13-3 at half-time after Matt Coupar touched down and Alex Glashan added the conversion and two penalties. However, a Horne penalty with the final kick saw Hawks home 14-13.

Boroughmuir were on the road to meet table toppers Gala where they lost 32-6, mustering only two first-half penalties by Greg Cannie.

Both Watsonians and Stewart’s Melville maintained their challenge for the top two slots in BT National Division One when they posted away wins. Watsonians reached the break locked in a scoreless stalemate with Biggar but eventually squeezed past a determined home side 11-6 courtesy of a try from Andrew Chalmers and penalties by Chad 
Northcott and Brian Walls. StewMel trailed 22-10 at half-time, but staged a fight back brimming with character to see off Kelso 27-25 in dramatic fashion. Matt Morrell bagged two tries and Matt Hannay joined him on the score sheet, while Nick McCashin kicked two penalties and all three conversions, proving to be the match winner when he added the extras to a last minute score by Morrell.

An equally tight race for the top spot in Division Two gathered momentum when Howe of Fife suffered a first defeat of the campaign to Cartha Queen’s Park. Musselburgh remain in contention after easing to a 60-7 victory away to Greenock Wanderers while Livingston were unable to halt joint leaders Falkirk, going down 41-7. Haddington lost 52-14 at home to promotion aspirants Hamilton Bulls.

Preston Lodge remain on the heels of Division Three leaders Dumfries after a 41-20 win at home to Dalziel, while Lasswade drew level with RHC Cougars after beating the Capital side 35-10 at Hawthornden, and Murrayfield Wanderers lost 59-5 at Irvine.