Drunk man found in St Thomas of Aquins High changing room
PUPILS at a city high school were left shocked after they found a man lying in his own vomit sprawled across their changing room floor.
The group of third year students at St Thomas of Aquins High, in Lauriston, had entered the boys changing area to get ready for a PE lesson just after 9.30am yesterday when they made the discovery.
The man, who is understood to be homeless, was lying unconscious in the middle of the floor, surrounded by vomit.
There was an empty bottle of alcohol close by.
The pupils quickly summoned a teacher who called for an ambulance and the man was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
An investigation is now ongoing as to how he came to be in the building and the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
A source, who did not wish to be named, said: “The boys were shocked when they went into the changing rooms and found the man lying in the middle of the floor unconscious.
“It’s the last thing they had expected to find before getting ready for a PE class.
“They said that he was lying in his own sick and had urinated in the changing room as well.
“According to the boys, he had an empty bottle of Frosty Jacks [cider] lying beside him and it looked like he had been there all night.
“By the time the paramedics arrived he was seemingly conscious again, but looked really ill.
“Nobody really knows how he managed to get in to the building – someone mentioned that he might have snuck in during one of the sports clubs the night before but we don’t really know.”
Education bosses said all parents with children involved in the incident had been informed.
A spokesperson for the city council said: “As soon as staff became aware they immediately called for an ambulance.
“The school is liaising with Police Scotland to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.”
Police Scotland confirmed they were in attendance at St Thomas’ yesterday morning.
A spokesman said: “Police in Edinburgh attended at a high school in the city centre on after a man was found ill within the building.
“The male was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh for observation and inquiries are continuing to establish the full circumstances surrounding this incident.”