Makers of Dettol warn public not to inject disinfectant after Trump suggests Covid-19 cure

Trump said it would be ‘interesting’ to see if injecting disinfectant could work.

By Elsa Maishman
Friday, 24th April 2020, 12:41 pm
Updated Friday, 24th April 2020, 3:36 pm

The makers of Dettol and Lysol have issued an official statement warning the public not to inject disinfectant after comments from US President Donald Trump.

Mr Trump said it would be ‘interesting to check’ if injecting disinfectant could work as a cure for Covid-19 during a White House briefing on Thursday.

“I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? It would be interesting to check that," he said.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The makers of Dettol and Lysol have urged the public not to ingest the disinfectant.

Disinfectant manufacturer RB, which makes Dettol and Lysol, later issued a statement warning the public not to try the method.

It said: “Due to recent speculation and social media activity, RB has been asked whether internal administration of disinfectants may be appropriate for investigation or use as a treatment for coronavirus.

Read More

Read More
Nicola Sturgeon: Small 'bubbles' of people may be allowed as lockdown eased

"As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)."

It added that all its products should only be used as intended and according to usage guidelines.

Mr Trump also suggested further research into using ‘very powerful light’ as a cure for the virus.

He added, pointing to his head: "I'm not a doctor. But I'm, like, a person that has a good you-know-what."

Many doctors and medical professionals have dismissed the president’s latest treatment ideas.

Pulmonologist Dr Vin Gupta told NBC News: "This notion of injecting or ingesting any type of cleansing product into the body is irresponsible and it's dangerous.

"It's a common method that people utilise when they want to kill themselves."