We’ve had a dig through the archives to bring you 9 of the Capital’s lost wonders we wish were still with us today.
1. Edinburgh International Exhibition hall (1886-1887)
The main hall for the 1886 Edinburgh International Exhibition was a huge, sprawling building filled with all manner of curiosities for the exhibition and occupied approximately half of the Meadows park. An Act of Parliament prevented it from being retained.
2. Royal Patent Gymnasium (1865-c1900)
The Royal Patent Gymnasium was an open-air gym for adults and considered a wonder of the age when it opened in 1865 at what is now King George V Park in Edinburgh's New Town.
3. New Street chimney (1847-1930)
It might seem odd to include a chimney in a list of lost wonders, but at 120m tall - double the height of the Scott Monument - this was no ordinary lum. The New Street gasworks chimney was one of the tallest in Britain.
4. Calton Jail (1817-1930)
Calton Jail was Scotland's largest prison and now all that remains is the Governor's House and its perimeter wall.