Make sure your next beach outing isn't spoiled by these creatures
Did you know about these things to look out for?
The spines of the weever fish can pierce your skin, which is how their venom is discharged - symptoms can include severe pain, vomiting, swelling, paralysis and even death.
With thousands of thin tentacles which can each extend to several metres long, the Lion's Manes sting can be particularly dangerous. The tentacles can still sting you even if they have broken away from the rest of the body.
Stings from this strange looking creature will leave whip-like red welts on the skin of its target and can last for two to three days, with the severe pain potentially lasting up to three hours.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
You may not think these shellfish pose any harm, but they aren't called razor fish for nothing. The curved edge of the shell is razor sharp and can easily leave you with a nasty cut if you happen to step on one.
Sea urchins live in shallow water, like rock pools, and can administer a mean sting if you come into contact with them. Their stings often leave puncture wounds and can prompt symptoms as serious as paralysis.
Their long, thin, whip-like tail contains barbed spines which contain venom, which a stingray will use to sting. While stingrays are generally gentle creatures, they will sting if disturbed or stepped on by aware beach goers.
While not an animal, this is the most poisonous plant in the UK and is always found growing close to water - ingestion can lead to death, and even touching it can bring horrible consequences.
This species of gull is known for aggressively dive bombing during breeding season and can attack with its claws and wings.
While amazing to look at from afar, you shouldn't get too close to any seals you encounter on your beach trip. Male seals can be very territorial and female seals will protect their young if they feel threatened.
You may think that there's no harm in collecting mussels from the beach for your dinner, but be aware that mussels are filter feeders, which means it's possible that they can absorb toxins and other nasty chemicals