A TOTAL of 7874 Rolls Royce Siler Ghost’s with a 40/50 horsepower chassis were built between 1907 and 1926.

While Rolls-Royce made the chassis, the bodywork was created by coachbuilders chosen by the buyer. In Edinburgh, one name was most associated with Rolls-Royce bodywork: Croall.

Reports of the 1911 Scottish Bodybuilding Show at Waverley Market reveal Messrs John Croall and Sons of George Street had a remarkable Rolls-Royce on display, with an aluminium body painted dark blue and styled in a limousine shape to carry five people.

It was also “fitted with every convenience imaginable”, including a speedometer, speaking tube, electric light, electric cigar lighter and a silk net for carrying parcels on the roof.