5-week-old baby burnt by callous smoker who tossed cigarette butt into pram

0
Have your say

A HORRIFIED mum has told how a smoker’s carelessly discarded cigarette landed in her daughter’s pram and burnt into the baby’s arm.

Quick-thinking Amy Harnaman from Edinburgh grabbed screaming Sophia, took off her smouldering coat and raced home to douse the wound in cold water before rushing her to hospital.

Baby Sophia was burnt after a smoker tossed a butt into her pram. Pictures: Contributed/Neil Hanna

Baby Sophia was burnt after a smoker tossed a butt into her pram. Pictures: Contributed/Neil Hanna

READ MORE: Edinburgh News LIVE: Scabies outbreak at NHS Lothian latest and traffic and weather updates

Family have been left hoping the five-week-old has no lasting scar and warned smokers to be more careful after the Tuesday accident in Wester Hailes.

READ MORE: Five NHS Lothian sites hit by major scabies infestation

“I got her out of the buggy, stripped her down out of her snowsuit and checked her arm,” said a shocked Mrs Harnaman, 23.

READ MORE: Musselburgh teacher fondled girl’s thighs during lessons

“There was a blister starting so I got her up to the flat and stuck it under cold water – she’s still unsettled and still in a bit of pain.

“I just think people should be more aware of their surroundings and dispose of cigarettes properly,” added the nursery worker.

Derek and Amy Harnaman with their daughter, Sophia. Picture: Neil Hanna

Derek and Amy Harnaman with their daughter, Sophia. Picture: Neil Hanna

Mum and daughter were on their way back from picking up Sophia’s five-year-old sister Eilidh from Clovenstone Primary at around 3pm.

Mrs Harnaman’s sister Chloe Louise Martin was also with them when they smelt smoke as they passed a bus stop on Clovenstone Road.

“My sister found a cigarette in the pram. It’d burnt right through the snowsuit thankfully not quite reaching the skin,” said sales assistant Ms Martin.

“It all happened really quickly. My sister picked her up and took her out of the suit. Then Sophia started crying because the blister started and I think that’s when it hurt her the most.”

Chloe Louise Martin and her sister Amy Harnaman were coming back from the school run with 5 week old sophia in her pram.'A nearby smoker thoughtlessly flicked his cigarette butt and it landed in Sophia's pram.''Picture: Contributed

Chloe Louise Martin and her sister Amy Harnaman were coming back from the school run with 5 week old sophia in her pram.'A nearby smoker thoughtlessly flicked his cigarette butt and it landed in Sophia's pram.''Picture: Contributed

They rushed Sophia home to douse cold water on her arm before taking her to the doctors in Sighthill and then on to the Sick Kids.

Medics treated and dressed the blister, about the size of a one penny coin, and will assess Sophia again tomorrow.

“You hear about things like this but you never think it’s going to happen to you,” said Ms Martin.

A post shared on Facebook warning smokers to be more careful has been shared more than 2,000 times and attracted widespread support.

Chloe Louise Martin and her sister Amy Harnaman were coming back from the school run with 5 week old sophia in her pram.' Picture: Contributed

Chloe Louise Martin and her sister Amy Harnaman were coming back from the school run with 5 week old sophia in her pram.' Picture: Contributed

“We just want to raise some awareness so that smokers can perhaps take a little more care with where they put their cigarette ends so that things like this don’t happen,” said Ms Martin.

“Eilidh can’t understand how something like this could happen. She didn’t really want to go to school or leave her sister.”

The family have no idea whose cigarette was responsible and are convinced it was all an unfortunate accident. “There was a few people there and a bus coming towards the bus stop so we think they just flung the fag end and got on the bus,” said Ms Martin.

“I just think it’s one of the last things you think about but that’s why there’s a bin there with an ashtray on top.

“We’re not looking to put the blame on anyone. We just want to stress it was an accident and for people to be more careful and vigilant.”

andy.shipley’edinburghnews.com