Accused attacker ‘crashed car into taxi’

Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard that Adam Hendry is accused of crashing the car into a taxi on South Bridge. Picture: Bill Henry
Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard that Adam Hendry is accused of crashing the car into a taxi on South Bridge. Picture: Bill Henry
Have your say

A MAN accused of attacking two brothers at a engagement party mounted a pavement in a car, forcing Festival revellers to jump from its path, a court has heard.

Adam Hendry is accused of crashing the car into a taxi on South Bridge, with pedestrians on the busy street fleeing as the vehicle went over the kerb.

On the same night, the 28-year-old allegedly attacked Anthony and Christopher Smith at a house in Southhouse Walk, leaving the former suffering from brain damage.

Dr Alasdair Fitzgerald, a consultant in neuro-rehabilitation at the Astley Ainslie Hospital, described the long-term memory and concentration problems which Anthony Smith now battles in his evidence on the third day of Hendry’s trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday.

The jury heard from taxi driver Graeme Main, who was driving on South Bridge when his vehicle was allegedly struck by Hendry’s at around 12.20am on August 21, 2011.

He said: “I was driving towards town and I had come to a halt a few yards from the lights. I felt a shunt and obviously I had been hit. It was Festival time and the street was full of people. I saw the car go onto the pavement. People were jumping out of its way.”

Mr Main said that onlookers provided him with the registration number of the car, which fled the scene after causing £2500 of damage to his taxi.

Earlier, the court heard from Dr Fitzgerald, 50, who is overseeing 23-year-old Anthony Smith’s rehabilitation.

Mr Smith suffered a fractured skull and spent more than two weeks in intensive care at the Western General Hospital.

Dr Fitzgerald said that the patient exhibited impaired concentration and memory, as well as poor organisational skills during tests.

The doctor said that Mr Smith required physical and speech therapy during his stay.

Dr Fitzgerald added that the patient had suffered as many as three seizures, so was placed on anti-convulsive medication.

The doctor said that Mr Smith was unable to attend college for his apprenticeship due to the impairments while he was not allowed to work as a joiner due to the risks of operating power tools and working at heights.

Laura Stewart, 30, the fiancée of Christopher Hill, also gave evidence yesterday about the incident at the party held to celebrate the couple’s engagement.

The hotel receptionist and mother-of-two said that she had been a friend of Hendry’s since school. She said that Hendry had punched her fiancé after kicking the front door of the home, and punched Anthony Smith a short time later, leaving him unconscious for five minutes.

She said: “Tony fell backwards. I ran up to him to see if he was OK. He was unconscious. His eyes were closed.”

Hendry, of Polton Drive in Lasswade, Midlothian, denies all the charges and has lodged a special defence that he was acting in self-defence after being attacked by Christopher and Anthony Smith.

The trial before Sheriff Isobel McColl continues.