Ban for boy racer who led police on 120mph car chase

Share this article
Have your say

A YOUNG driver who led police on a 120mph car chase through driving rain has been banned for 16 months and fined £1000.

Traffic officers were eventually forced to stop following Jamie Scott, 21, because his driving was too dangerous, Livingston Sheriff Court heard.

Passing sentence yesterday, Sheriff Donald Muirhead told Scott: “You seem to have a problem with motor cars and a problem sticking to the regulations.

“You’ve already got yourself a six-month disqualification and you’ve acted in this extraordinary manner driving at these enormous speeds while being chased by the police.

“All of that suggests to me that a substantial disqualification is required in the public interest.”

The court was told the officers first saw Scott, from East Calder, West Lothian, doing more than three times the limit in a 30mph built-up area in the early hours of the morning.

When the pursuit moved into a 50mph zone, the astonished officers saw Scott put the foot down and travel at more than 120mph.

Paul Beaton, prosecuting, said traffic officers had decided to pull over Scott’s car for speeding. But when they put on their blue lights and flashed him to stop, he accelerated away from them.

Mr Beaton said the officers were concerned about safety because it was raining heavily and the road surface was wet.

Despite the poor driving conditions, the traffic car had to travel at up to 91mph through 30mph residential areas in Mid Calder just to maintain distance with the other car.

As the pursuit continued into countryside along the A71 towards West Calder, Scott drove even faster, ignored keep left signs, crossed hazard lines and drove on the wrong side of the road.

Mr Beaton said: “At this stage, his car was travelling at 120mph within a 50mph speed limit. Given the weather conditions, police decided to abandon pursuit of the car at that time.”

Scott pled guilty to driving dangerously and at grossly excessive speeds on various roads in West Lothian.

David Storrie, defending, said Scott had gone for a drive as a way of dealing with an argument with his partner.

He told the court: “There was no planning, it was purely impulsive.”

He said Scott had been disqualified under the totting up procedure for using a mobile phone while driving and parking on zig-zag lines, adding: “This is the first time he’s driven in such a manner.”