A Scottish teenager reported missing after the Manchester terror attack is being treated for serious injuries in the city, while two other people are in hospital north of the border.
The families of Laura MacIntyre, 15, and Eilidh MacLeod, 14, from the island of Barra, made desperate appeals when the girls failed to get in touch after the explosion at the Ariana Grande concert which left 22 dead and at least 59 injured.
Angus MacNeil, who has represented the island as SNP MP since 2005, said the older girl is being treated in hospital in Manchester.
“Laura is alive in hospital and is in a serious condition,” he said.
“We are obviously still extremely worried about Eilidh. We have no news at the moment.”
Six other people have been treated in hospitals in Scotland after the incident.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said four of the patients have been discharged and two remain in care. None of their injuries are life threatening.
Speaking after a second meeting of the Scottish Government’s resilience committee, Ms Sturgeon said Police Scotland are supporting the families of the two Barra teenagers.
She said: “We continue to keep in close contact with police following the terrible events in Manchester last night.
“The Scottish Government and Police Scotland have been liaising closely with the UK Government and police in England and Wales throughout last night and today.
“There is no intelligence of an increased risk to Scotland and this remains the case, but we should continue to stay vigilant.
“Police Scotland are providing support to the families of Laura MacIntyre and Eilidh MacLeod from Barra.
“Both families have asked for privacy at this difficult time. Our thoughts go out to them and to the families of everyone who has been caught up in this tragedy.
“Scotland stands together, in solidarity, with the people of Manchester - we will not be divided by those who seek to destroy our way of life.”
Scotland’s Deputy First Minister, Justice Secretary and senior officers from Police Scotland joined Ms Sturgeon at the resilience committee meeting on Tuesday night.
Earlier, the First Minister joined Scotland’s other political leaders in condemning the “despicable act of cowardice” and expressing solidarity with the people of Manchester.
The First Minister also updated the Scottish Parliament on precautionary measures being taken by Police Scotland in the wake of the atrocity.
“It is hard for any of us to imagine the anguish that their families are going through right now,” Ms Sturgeon said.
“They are in our thoughts and the Scottish Government and Police Scotland will do all we possibly can to ensure that they have all the support they need.”
Police Scotland have increased their presence, including armed officers, at locations such as transport hubs and city centres as a “precautionary measure”.
The force is to review security for all events taking place in Scotland in the next 14 days, including the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden on Saturday.
Speaking at Holyrood, Ms Sturgeon said: “There can be nothing more cowardly than attacking children and young people enjoying a fun night out.
“Across Scotland today we stand in solidarity with the people of Manchester, a great city with which so many of us here in Scotland share a great affinity.”
Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson said the people of Manchester had responded with “courage and decency in the face of cowardice and evil”.
The values of “tolerance, openness and respect for one another” had been demonstrated by police, paramedics, doctors and nurses who had worked through the night, as well as the countless householders and taxi drivers who had offered assistance, she said.
Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale said: “Being at a gig is a moment of sheer joy. Last night that joy was destroyed in a despicable act of cowardice.”
On responding to the attack, she added: “What we can do is respond well. We can teach our children that the only way to counter such barbarity is not with hate and with fear, but with compassion, tolerance, kindness and love - like the people of Manchester did last night.”
Laura’s father Michael tweeted this morning: “Please...please retweet. Looking for my daughter and her friend. Laura Macintyre and Eilidh Macleod #manchesterattack”
He later told journalists: “It was Eilidh’s birthday present and the two of them are big fans of Ariana Grande.
“Laura was so happy to be going down there with her friend.
“It was Laura’s first concert. I was a bit hesitant about her going to a concert so far away but she seemed so happy.
“I’m waiting by the phone all day in case I hear any news.”
Eilidh’s aunt Margaret MacNeil posted on Facebook: “My niece and her friend were at the Ariana Grande concert tonight and there has been no contact since the explosion.
“Please let us find the girls safe and well.”
Mr MacNeil told The Scotsman that the Castlebay Community School pupils had travelled to Manchester for last night’s Ariana Grande concert with Laura’s mother.
It is believed that she stayed in a hotel near the concert venue while the girls attended the event, and has been trying to locate them in hospitals in Manchester without success.
Eilidh’s brother is traveling to Manchester from Glasgow to help with the search, Mr MacNeil said.
Mr MacNeil told the Press and Journal: “One of the girls, Laura, is a close friend of my daughter so it has been difficult.
“They were last heard from last night when they sent a message to say that Ariana was playing her final song.
“There is no answer on their phones this morning.
“It is heartbreaking and the island is in shock. Our prayers and thoughts go out to the families and all others affected by this awful tragedy.”
Western Isles Council told the BBC it was monitoring the situation. “We are closely monitoring events around Eilidh and Laura,” a spokesman said. “Our thoughts are with the families of the two girls.”
At least 22 people, including children, were killed in the explosion, with 59 people injured.
Ariana Grande has suspended her world tour following the attack.