Biker’s fatal crash is chilling echo of friend’s death

Daniel Baird was found with serious head injuries
Daniel Baird was found with serious head injuries
Have your say

A YOUNG man killed when the motorbike he was riding crashed into a tree died less than three years after his friend was fatally injured in an off-road crash, it was revealed today.

Daniel Baird was found with serious head injuries on the walkway running from the old Big W car park at the Milton Link to The Jewel on Monday morning.

The 20-year-old, of Bingham Way, was rushed to hospital along with his injured 18-year-old passenger, but he was pronounced dead on arrival.

His friends have been left devastated by the accident, which followed the death of Jason Davidson, 19, also from Bingham, in October 2009.

Mr Davidson was found dead on the Innocent Railway path, near Bingham Park, after a motorbike smash, and may have lain hidden by undergrowth for three days.

Another local teenager, James Manders, 19, of Bingham Broadway, died in July 2009 when he was thrown from his bike when it crashed in Harewood Road, Craigmillar.

The third death in three years today sparked pleas for youths in the area to stay away from motorcycles, along with a call for more police patrols.

A relative of Mr Baird paid tribute to him as a “happy-go-lucky guy” and said that his death had left friends “totally devastated”. He added that Mr Baird and his passenger had both been wearing helmets when the collision took place.

Councillor Michael Bridgman, who covers the Portobello/Craigmillar ward which was the scene of the crashes, said: “In Bingham Park and the housing estates you can hear the bikes speeding through.

“It’s sad that it takes the death of one of our young men to raise awareness of the dangers.”

Cllr Bridgman said a mixture of extra police patrols and raising awareness was needed to prevent future accidents.

He added: “It’s also up to people to call the police and tell them what’s going on.”

As a 16-year-old, Mr Baird was given an Asbo in 2008 banning him from several streets in Bingham after he was accused of terrorising neighbours.

He was discovered at 5.45am on Monday lying next to a motorcycle on a walkway. The 18-year-old man who had been riding pillion with him sustained serious leg injuries.

Police believe the motorcycle may have collided with a tree but have yet to trace anyone who witnessed the incident and have appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

A police spokesman said: “While the two men were discovered at 5.45am, we have yet to determine exactly when the incident took place.”