Chemical scare at Portobello beach
Three fire engines and two decontamination units were called to Portobello beach '“ to dispose of a container of detergent.
A canister labelled ‘toxic content’ was discovered by a dog walker just before 9.30am on Saturday morning, and police were called.
A cordon was set up around the container as a precaution until experts ruled that it wasn’t dangerous.
There was no spillage and no risk to the environment.
Council workers later visited the beach and disposed of the detergent.