Firefighters evacuated a doctors’ surgery this afternoon after Mercury was spilt on the premises.
Two fire engines were sent to the North Berwick Health Centre, in East Lothian, at around 4pm and firfighters donned full chemical suits while trying to contain the spillage.
A Scottish Fire & Rescue spokeswoman confirmed that crews received “special advice and scientific advice” from a “special detection unit” who also attended.
“It was a small Mercury spillage in the premises and then it was contained and the premises decontaminated,” she explained.
The building was evacuated but no one was injured in the incident which was cleared by 5.45pm.