Cigarette blaze death man is named

Share this article
Have your say

A MAN who died after a cigarette sparked a fire in an Edinburgh flat this morning has been named as Grant Sutherland.

The 41-year-old perished in the fire which broke out at Niddrie Mill Drive around 1.40am, despite a smoke alarm being activated.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said the blaze was in in a top floor flat of a three storey building.

She added: “The property was heavily smoke logged. The cause was a careless use of a cigarette. The smoke alarm did activate, but it does not seem to have alerted the occupant.”

Today the flat bore no outward signs of the blaze.

Inside the building a large steel door stood in front of the entrance to the flat, but all signs of smoke had been cleaned away.

Neighbours were too upset to speak, but one said Mr Sutherland had suffered burns in another small fire earlier in the year.

Sheena Ferguson, who runs a bakery opposite the flat, said “I’m heartbroken, just devastated. I just spoke to him yesterday.

“I couldn’t say a bad word about him, a really nice lad. A nicer lad you couldn’t meet.

“I’m here at quarter to six in the morning and he used to come and help me.

“It’s a tragedy.”