Club bouncer jailed after standing on teen’s neck in the street

Allan MacDougall at the High Court
Allan MacDougall at the High Court
Have your say

A HEAD bouncer who stood on the neck of a teenager celebrating Christmas Day with his family during a brutal attack in the New Town has been jailed for 16 months.

Allan MacDougall was locked up for a prolonged assault on Gary Smith, 18, outside Garibaldi’s bar in Hanover Street.

CCTV footage captured the incident showing MacDougall – head of security for the Lulu club in nearby George Street – standing on the teenager’s neck while chatting to a friend.

MacDougall was also seen punching his victim 26 times during the assault, leaving Mr Smith lying motionless.

MacDougall originally faced an attempted murder allegation, but pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of assault to the danger of life at the High Court in Glasgow yesterday.

A judge told the 31-year-old that the level of violence involved merited a jail term.

It emerged during the hearing that MacDougall’s dad was a former chief superintendent with Strathclyde Police while his QC also handed a reference from a US special forces officer in support of the thug.

Mr Smith was attacked having been out with family on Christmas Day 2010. The apprentice joiner eventually ended up with his brother, Stephen, and friends in Garibaldi’s.

Prosecutor Tim Niven-Smith said it was there one of the group later made comments
towards MacDougall.

MacDougall and his friends soon left while a bouncer tried to persuade Mr Smith and his brother to stay inside fearing there would be trouble.

But the pair left and headed in the direction of MacDougall and his friends.

The court heard MacDougall was wounded, although it was unclear how it happened.

Mr Niven-Smith said: “It was clearly after that attack upon the accused that gave rise to the subsequent events.”

CCTV footage shown in court showed Mr Smith being pushed on to the road and ending up under burly MacDougall. The bouncer walked off, but was chased by the teenager before both slipped in icy conditions.

Mr Smith was then punched a total of 26 times. The footage showed the victim’s brother appearing to be held on the ground by a friend of MacDougall.

Mr Niven-Smith went on: “The accused leaves . . . but returns to Mr Smith and proceeds to kick him repeatedly, causing his head to move erratically.”

MacDougall, who lives in the Old Town, followed this up by placing his foot on the victim’s neck, while appearing to chat with a friend.

Mr Smith was discovered by emergency staff still on his back but conscious. He suffered no significant injuries.

MacDougall’s QC pleaded for the bouncer not to be jailed, claiming his injuries were ultimately worse than Mr Smith’s.

Gordon Jackson, defending, said that MacDougall had been provoked and had acted “out of character”. He added: “His career has been destroyed because he acted impulsively.”

Lord Tyre told MacDougall that he accepted there had been provocation and that his regret was “genuine”. But the judge said: “Given the seriousness and the violence in the assault, I have decided there is no alternative to a custodial sentence.”