Anger at taxi driver who raped 14-year-old girl

Mohammad Ashraf jailed at High Court in Glasgow. Picture : Comp
Mohammad Ashraf jailed at High Court in Glasgow. Picture : Comp
Share this article
Have your say

THE family of a 14-year-old who was raped hit out after the taxi driver found guilty of the “devastating” assault smiled as he was jailed for over five years.

The girl’s sister said: “He was laughing and smiling. He showed no remorse whatsoever. The sentence wasn’t enough. It basically says it’s OK to rape a child”.

Mohammad Ashraf, 53, told the teenager he was taking her to Edinburgh in his cab because he wanted to buy her something.

The girl thought they were going shopping – but instead Ashraf took her to the flat where he carried out the attack.

Ashraf, 53, of Netherbank, Edinburgh, admitted raping the girl on November 16, 2012.

Jailing Ashraf for 64 months, Judge John Morris QC told him: “You have pled guilty to a very serious sexual assault on a child to whom you owed a duty of care.

“This crime has had a devastating effect on the young girl.

“Had you not pled guilty when you did, thus saving the young girl from giving evidence, the sentence would have been six years.”

Advocate depute David Taylor said the girl told Ashraf she wanted to leave and that her family would be wondering where she was.

But Ashraf ignored her protests and pushed her down and lay on top of her.

The advocate depute said: “She could not get him off, he was too big for her to move.

“He told her the quicker she enjoyed what he was doing and the quicker she got in a good mood, the quicker he would let her go home.

“The victim kept on asking him if she could go home. He replied ‘No’.”

Mr Taylor added she told him to stop and pushed him away before Ashraf said to her “kiss me downstairs”.

“She said she did not want to. The accused told her that he would only let her go home if she did this,” said Mr Taylor.

The prosecutor said after the assault Ashraf appeared “annoyed” with the victim and asked her what she would tell her family.

“She told him that she would say that they had been shopping,” he added.

After the girl got home she sent a text message to her sister, who arrived five minutes later.

The court heard Ashraf’s DNA was found on swabs taken from the girl and her DNA was present on swabs from him.

The court heard Ashraf had businesses, but they collapsed in 2009.

Defence QC Frances McMenamin said that Ashraf took the girl to the flat to talk about a large mobile phone bill she had run up by calling premium numbers on a phone he gave her.

Ms McMenamin added: “The temptation to him of being alone with the girl grew too much and this incident took place.”

The QC said that Ashraf came to the UK in the 1980s and stated that his family was standing by him.

She added: “The shame and dishonour that this has brought on him is perhaps a greater punishment than anything the court can do.”

Ms McMenamin also said that newspaper coverage of the case was an additional devastation.