Derek Riordan fined £400 over Edinburgh pub head-butt

Derek Riordan. Picture: TSPL
Derek Riordan. Picture: TSPL
Have your say

FORMER Hibs player Derek Riordan has been fined £400 for headbutting a man in a city centre pub.

The 32-year-old, who is currently training with the Easter Road club, admitted attacking an unknown man in the Black Bull, in the Grassmarket, on December 6, 2014.

However, his plea of not guilty to acting in an aggressive manner and struggling with a door steward was accepted by prosecutors.

Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard that Riordan and his friends were drinking in the bar when an argument started between him and another customer.

Fiscal depute Alexandra Piper told Sheriff Paul Arthurson QC: “This got heated and the accused put his face right up close to the unknown male.”

CCTV footage showed Riordan lunging forward and headbutting the other man, Ms Piper said, before the pair were separated and police were called.

The footballer’s defence solicitor, Kathleen More, told the court there had been no violent movement when contact was made.

She added that the victim had not been not hurt and had made no complaint.

“It is quite clear that everyone on the CCTV was under the influence of drink, including the other man,” Ms More said.

She told the court that Riordan had been enjoying a night out with friends and relatives and had not been looking for trouble.

“He had had a good night, but offensive remarks had been made to Mr Riordan, because of his status as a professional footballer, and under that provocation he lunged towards the man’s head,” she said.

Riordan has had two spells at Hibs – scoring more than 103 goals – and also played for Cowdenbeath, Celtic, a Chinese Super League club, St Johnstone, Bristol Rovers, Alloa Athletic and East Fife.

He has three Scotland caps, the most recent coming in 2009 when he appeared as a second-half substitute in a 3-0 friendly loss in Wales.

Sheriff Arthurson fined Riordan £400 and allowed 28 days for payment.

In 2012, Riordan was fined £800 after admitting shouting homophobic abuse at bouncers who threw him out of the Picture House in Lothian Road while he was banned from pubs and clubs across the Capital.

Last year, he was fined £430 after assaulting a man in Malones in Forrest Road.