Dumped lover drove drunk to stop ex-lover leaving

Have your say

A jilted lover drove nearly nine miles drunk to follow a bus after being dumped so he could stop his ex-girlfriend from catching a train home.

Civil engineer Stewart Craigon then threw himself at the feet of his intended as she tried to catch a train was spared jail.

He and his partner Kirsty Clarke, both from Livingston, West Lothian, fell out during a weekend away in Perthshire.

Kirsty jumped on a bus and Craigon got into his car and followed her to Stirling Railway Station - where he flung his arms round her legs in what the city’s sheriff court was told was a “pathetic” scene.

He was arrested on the station concourse, breathalysed, and taken to Stirling police office, where he gave a sample which proved on analysis to contain 74 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath - more than twice the legal limit of 35.

Sheriff Wyllie Robertson ordered him to perform 150 hours of unpaid work, as part of a community payback order, and disqualified him from driving for 18 months.

The sheriff told him: “You understand the requirement to undertake unpaid work is a direct alternative to custody.”

Last month, before sentence was adjourned for reports, prosecutor Laura Wilcox described the scene at the station.

She said: “Miss Clarke made it clear their relationship was over, but Mr Craigon wasn’t happy about this.

“He was saying ‘is it over, is it over?’

“He grabbed her by the arms and pushed her against the ticket booth. Employees noticed what was going on and tried to calm him down, but he didn’t desist.

“He grabbed hold of Miss Clarke’s legs and was saying ‘I love you, marry me, don’t leave me’.”

Miss Wilcox said Craigon would not release Kirsty’s legs, and was trying to prevent her boarding a train home.

The court heard Craigon, a father-of-two, and Kirsty, a mother-of-two, had not long been together, and he was devastated when she dumped him during their weekend in Doune, Perthshire.

About 9pm, Kirsty boarded the bus, and Craigon tried to get on as well - but was prevented by the driver who “noticed she was upset”.

As the public service vehicle set off for Stirling, where Kirsty planned to catch the train, Craigon returned to the car park of a pub they had been in and got into his MG Zs sports car and followed.

Craigon, 37, of Deans South, Livingston, pleaded guilty to breach of the peace, and drink-driving. The incident occurred on Saturday June 29 last year.

Stephen Maguire, defending, said the couple were still together, despite what had happened.

He said: “Their relationship was in its fairly early stages last June, and seems to have been very intense. They had both gone to Doune for a weekend away and had what at one stage appeared to be a terminal falling-out. She wanted to get a train back to Livingston. He couldn’t stop her getting on the bus, so he decided to follow it.

“Thereafter there was this rather pathetic incident, where, in increasing desperation and anxiety, he was clinging onto her legs to stop her getting onto the train.

“It was an indication of the dark place he was in at the time, mentally.

“Miss Clarke, who that night was embarrassed at what Mr Craigon was doing and saying, reflected over the weekend and decided she wanted the relationship to continue.”