Edinburgh robbers shouted '˜it's the police' before barging into house

TWO men claimed to be police as they barged into a woman's house and robbed her of money and designer jewellery.

Tuesday, 19th September 2017, 1:22 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 8:59 am

William Gardner, 51, and Kenneth Blyth, 32, smashed their way into Lisa Watters’ Dunbar home armed with knives on April 20, shouting “It’s the police”.

Gardner demanded she emptied her pockets and rifled through her belongings while Blyth pocketed medication and £2,000 of other drugs.

They were both spotted by police nearby, shortly after the terrifying ordeal and arrested.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Gardner, from Watertoun Road, Edinburgh and Blyth, from the city, pled guilty at the High Court in Glasgow to breaking into Miss Watters’ home in Dunbar, East Lothian earlier this year.

They admitted smashing the front door, assaulting Miss Watters and robbing her of goods including Pandora charms, watches and drugs.

Analysis of the drugs found them to be worth a total of £2,100.

The court heard around 4pm on April 20, Miss Watters was at home when she heard a loud bang and glass smashing.

Advocate depute Duncan McPhie said: “She heard a male voice shouting “It’s the police”.

“Meanwhile, a neighbour saw the accused enter the house and contacted the police.”

Miss Watters went to the hallway and saw the men.

Gardner told her to empty her pockets and she handed him £200 in cash.

Mr McPhie: “Gardner began going through the pockets of a jacket that was hanging on the bedpost. He took a bag of Pandora charms from this jacket.

“He searched through drawers and took two watches and continually shouted at her and demanded to now where her valuables were.”

The pair continued searching through the house, filling bags with items.

Blyth took a new shirt and and all of Miss Watters’ prescribed medication, as well as other drugs in the house.

Mr McPhie added: “Both accused had knives and both left the house carrying bags.”

Police attended after receiving a call and spotted both men walking nearby, Blyth was carrying a large blue Idea bag and wearing gloves.

The pair were arrested and made no reply.

When later cautioned and charged, Gardner told officers: “It wasn’t the intention when going there but that’s what happened.”

Sentence was deferred until next month at the High Court in Edinburgh.