Gang leader who shot rival jailed

27-year-old let out early faces having to finish sentence. Picture: Julie Bull
27-year-old let out early faces having to finish sentence. Picture: Julie Bull
Have your say

A GANG leader who gunned down a rival in a motorbike ambush during a city drugs war has been sent to prison over an extortion bid.

Marc Webley was jailed for 11 years in 2005 for shooting convicted drug dealer Peter Simpson in the back in Granton as part of a violent feud.

The 27-year-old has now been given six months after pleading guilty to trying to intimidate a man into handing over £1000 at a garage.

It is understood that Webley now faces an appearance before the parole board, which may rule that he must finish the rest of his sentence for the shooting. Such a decision could put Webley behind bars until 2016.

Webley tried to extort the cash from Grant Ingles at Bob’s Garage on Jane Street, Leith, on April 9.

Webley – who ran up more than 60 convictions while a teenager – pled guilty at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Thursday to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner to demand £1000 from Mr Ingles. He had been held on remand at Saughton Prison.

Michael Hood, 30, also described as a prisoner at Saughton, faced the same charge but his not guilty plea was accepted by the Crown.

Bob’s Garage said that Mr Ingles was not an employee and did want to comment.

Back in 2004, the Young Mental Royston gang – fronted by Webley – became embroiled in a battle for control of the trade in Class A drugs and cannabis in north Edinburgh.

They clashed with 45-year-old Simpson, who portrayed himself as a “Robin Hood-figure”, but police believed he wanted to stop the young pretenders taking over his “patch”.

The feud saw petrol bombs hurled at Simpson’s flat, and the shooting of one of his associates, gangland hitman Frank Doris.

The violence culminated with Simpson being followed by Webley and James Tant, then 21, on a motorbike in January 2005. Both wearing balaclavas, Tant threatened him with a sawn-off shotgun before Webley fired five times with a semi-automatic handgun, hitting Simpson once.

Webley, from Wardieburn, and Tant, from West Pilton, were both jailed for 11 years. Simpson was later jailed for a knife attack on Tant on a city bus.

After being released early from his sentence, it is understood that Webley was subject to a recall if he re-offended while on licence. The parole board must now decide how much of the remaining term he should serve.

A Scottish Prison Service spokesman said: “We do not comment on individual prisoners.”