Horror attack as man stabbed in eye with scissors

A forensics specialist and a uniformed officer on Earl Grey Street. Picture: Greg Macvean
A forensics specialist and a uniformed officer on Earl Grey Street. Picture: Greg Macvean
Have your say

A MAN stabbed in the eye with a pair of nail scissors left a 400-yard trail of blood along a street after chasing his alleged assailant from a bar.

It was one of two serious assaults being investigated by police in the Capital yesterday.

The 25-year-old was left in agony and could lose the sight in his eye after a night out in the pub turned to horror.

He was said to be drinking in The Grapes pub, Clerk Street, when he was allegedly stabbed with a “small pair of crescent-shaped” scissors. Despite his serious injuries, the victim is said to have given chase to a suspected attacker – to South College Street.

The victim left a trail of blood in his wake and apparently did not immediately realise the extent of his macabre facial injury.

A witness, who asked not to be named, said: “The police cordoned off the street for 400 yards from South College Street to Queen’s Hall. There was a trail of blood the entire way.

“There must have been 25 police officers in the area.”
The victim was last night being treated at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Doctors are believed to be attempting to assess the extent of his eye damage following the incident which happened at about 11pm on Saturday.

A police source said: “Sadly the victim is likely to lose the sight in one eye following this attack. He was also stabbed in the body. It’s not known what triggered this attack.”

Police Scotland last night confirmed a 34-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a stabbing and charged him with attempted murder. He appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday, made no plea or declaration and was remanded in custody.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “A 34-year-old man has been arrested and charged following a serious assault.

“A 25-year-old man was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh for an eye injury, where he continues to be treated.”

Meanwhile, in a separate incident, officers are hunting two thugs who assaulted a couple in the city centre.
The yobs assaulted the woman by pushing her to the ground. A further serious assault left the 37-year-old man covered in blood and with serious head injuries.

The attack took place in Earl Grey Street at about 3.15am yesterday. Forensic officers yesterday staged a fingertip search of the street.

The road was closed for a large part of the rush hour – leading to extensive traffic disruption. A resident said: “When I saw the forensic guys in the white suits, I knew something serious had happened.”

The badly beaten victim was taken by ambulance to the ERI before being transferred to the Western General Hospital, where police say he is in a “stable condition”.

The two suspects are both white, in their early 20s, of average build, with short dark hair.

One was wearing a dark hooded top with writing on the right sleeve and an emblem on the left chest area, dark trousers and white shoes. The other was wearing a dark top, over a red crew neck top, dark trousers and white shoes.