Man, 43, held over murder at Grange

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN has been arrested and charged with murder and attempted murder after a dead man and a severely injured woman were found in a burning flat in The Grange.

The 43-year-old has been arrested and charged with the murder of Stewart Taylor, 33, following the alleged attack in the city suburb on Monday morning.

He has also been charged with the attempted murder of 30-year-old Lynsey Methven and was due to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court today.

The family of Ms Methven said she had been so badly injured they believed she had been hit with a baseball bat.

She was put into an induced coma suffering from lung and facial injuries, including a broken nose and cheekbones, as well as cuts to her lips which are believed to have been caused by a knife, after the alleged assault in her home.

Police launched a murder investigation after Mr Taylor’s body was found inside her house by firefighters called out to a fire at the property. Yesterday Ms Methven was being protected by police guards at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where she had undergone plastic surgery. After seeing his daughter in hospital, John Methven, 68, said her facial wounds were so severe he feared they had been inflicted by a baseball bat.

Yesterday detectives named Mr Taylor, 33, and said he was originally from Aberdeen. He suffered a major head injury before a blaze was started at the home in Chalmers Crescent at about 7am on Monday.

Ms Methven, who was reportedly in a relationship with Mr Taylor, was left for dead and suffered severe lung damage from smoke inhalation before being pulled to safety.

Police confirmed there had been a “disturbance” at the property at about 7am on Monday, followed by a sighting of a “scruffy” man driving away in a white van, who officers described as a “person of interest” in the inquiry.

A man was also seen acting suspiciously in the area at around midnight on Sunday.

Mr Methven, who lives in Prestonfield, said: “Lynsey hasn’t regained consciousness since this happened. She’s been put in an induced coma because of her injuries and she’s being fed through a tube.

“A plastic surgeon from St John’s Hospital in Livingston came to the Royal Infirmary on Monday night to operate. Lynsey has a broken nose, two broken cheekbones and cuts to her cheeks. Her lips have two wounds which the doctors said may have been caused by a knife, as well as cuts on her legs which needed stitches. She looks like she may have had her face smashed against a wall or hit with a baseball bat.

“I just hope the guy tops himself so we can try and get on with our lives.”

Police yesterday said it was too early to say whether they would be interviewing former partners of Ms Methven as part of their investigation.

It is believed Ms Methven worked at a William Hill bookmakers in the Capital.

Detective Chief Inspector Gareth Blair, who is leading the investigation, said officers were “looking at all possibilities”.

He added: “The man had suffered a substantial head injury. The fire has then occurred after the injuries. We cannot confirm that the fire was started deliberately, but it is part of the murder investigation.”

Police said they were trying to determine whether the two victims were in a relationship.

DCI Blair added: “We want to speak to anyone who saw the white van being driven north on Chalmers Crescent or elsewhere in the area around 8am.

“Similarly, we want to speak to anyone who saw a man acting suspiciously in the area from midnight into Monday morning. We know that a group of three people had arrived at the block of flats at around midnight, and it is possible that they may have seen or heard something.I would appeal to them to contact police and I would urge any other members of the public who have information to get in touch.”