Man high on valium scared OAPs in their home

Michael Reid appeared at Livingston Sheriff Court. Picture: Gordon McBrearty
Michael Reid appeared at Livingston Sheriff Court. Picture: Gordon McBrearty
Have your say

A man put two pensioners through terrifying ordeals after bursting uninvited into their homes.

Michael Reid refused to leave and shouted aggressively at the householders – one a 62-year-old woman and the other a man aged 74.

He claimed he remembered nothing of his frightening behaviour because he’d taken so much Valium.

Reid, 50, from Threemiletown, West Lothian, appeared for sentence at Livingston Sheriff Court.

He earlier pled guilty to two charges of behaving in a threatening and abusive manner likely to cause a reasonable person fear and alarm.

He admitted committing the offences on September 12 last year at the homes of the two pensioners in Mid Calder, West Lothian.

Catherine Knowles, prosecuting, said Reid hadn’t knocked but just walked in to the home of the first pensioner and closed the door behind him.

She said: “The police report describes the pensioner as being terrified by this. The accused offered no explanation for being there.

“While waiting on the police arriving the accused continued to refuse to leave the property.

“When he eventually did he went a few doors down and entered the second property.

“The occupant saw him standing in her utility room. She repeatedly told him to leave but he stated he was out for his dog.

“The witness’s husband returned and ushered him out of the garden. Police who found the accused in the garden of the property spoke to the woman being visibly shaken and distressed.”

She said cops took Reid to a local hospital for assessment because they thought he was under the influence of something.

Kevin Dugan, defending, said Reid had been given illicit Valium earlier that day and remembered nothing after taking it.

He said: “Although there was no violence offered or threatened by Mr Reid, he understands his behaviour must have been alarming.”

Sheriff Peter Hammond said he was concerned at the nature of the former heroin addict’s “random” offence but praised him for voluntarily seeking help for his addictions.

He told Reid: “These offences are serious and must have been alarming to the people concerned.

“Despite your bad record I’m prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, and with some hesitation I’m persuaded that there’s an alternative to custody.”

Reid was put under social work supervision for nine months and ordered to undergo drug counselling.

He was also electronically tagged under the 7pm to 7am curfew at his home for four months.