Motorbike owner slashed in rage attack over sale

Derek Lamont was on trial at Livingston Sheriff Court. Picture: Gordon McBrearty
Derek Lamont was on trial at Livingston Sheriff Court. Picture: Gordon McBrearty
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN selling a motorcycle was left scarred for life by a would-be buyer who attacked him when he learned the bike had been sold.

Bruce Adams had advertised the off-road motorbike for sale and 45-year-old Derek ­Lamont came to his Bathgate home hoping to buy it.

However, when Mr Adams told Lamont he was too late and that the bike had been sold, Lamont flew into a rage and assaulted the stunned seller.

Terrified Mr Adams picked up a kitchen knife in a desperate bid to warn off his attacker.

But, after dropping the blade, Lamont grabbed it and slashed the victim above his right eye, leaving him with a three-inch cut which needed eight stitches. Paramedics estimated the victim lost a litre of blood.

Lamont, of Charles Crescent, Bathgate, yesterday admitted a charge of assault to severe injury and ­permanent disfigurement at Livingston Sheriff Court.

He also admitted striking his victim twice with a kitchen knife and hitting him over the head with a bottle on October 26, 2012.

Fiscal depute Gavin Drugan, prosecuting, told the court the attack had left Mr Adams permanently disfigured with a prominent scar to his face.

Mr Drugan said the attack took place in Mr Adams’ home after Lamont went there with his friend, Peter Taylor, to buy the motorbike. The prosecutor said Lamont became “agitated” after learning the bike was sold and started arguing then ­struggling with Mr Adams.

As they slipped and fell to the floor, the court heard Mr ­Adams grabbed a knife off a worktop to “ward off or intimidate” Lamont and get him out of the house.

Mr Adams dropped the knife in the struggle.

Mr Drugan said: “What’s then happened is that Mr Lamont has said to Mr Adams: ‘You pulled a f****** knife on me. I’ll start sticking it to you,’ or words similar to that.

“Mr Lamont has now got the knife and is presenting it at Mr Adams and, in the course of presenting it, struck Mr ­Adams above his right eye causing a seven-centimetre laceration that has penetrated the ­muscle.”

He said Lamont then got up and, while Mr Adams was still on the floor, stabbed him in the back of the left thigh.

The court heard Mr Taylor managed to take the knife away from Lamont and put it in the waistband of his trousers, but Lamont then picked up a bottle and struck Mr Adams over the head with it.

Sheriff Susan A Craig called for background reports.

Sentencing will be carried out at a later date.