Police probe into New Town worker's fatal 40ft plunge goes on

Police investigations are continuing into the death of a worker who plunged from a flat window in the New Town. The 56-year-old man '“ named locally as Brian Crawford '“ was carrying out restoration work when he fell around 40ft.

Thursday, 11th August 2016, 8:22 am
Updated Thursday, 11th August 2016, 9:23 am
Police are investigating the incident. Picture; John Devlin
Police are investigating the incident. Picture; John Devlin

Officers confirmed today that they were still investigating the Fettes Row death, which is being treated as non-suspicious.

A report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal but it is understood that the incident may have been the result of an accident.

Police and emergency services rushed to the street shortly after 10am on Tuesday following reports that an injured man was found behind the terrace.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The incident took place on Fettes Row. Picture; Google

When found, he was still alive but critically injured. He later died from injuries sustained in the fall.

Mr Crawford, known to his friends as “Hag”, was working for Tremmel Restoration Ltd, which has offices in the city.

The Evening News approached the company for tributes but they said they would not be making any comment while the investigation was ongoing.

Writing on the paper’s Facebook page, Shirley Church-Michael said: “He was my cousin and my heart goes out to my Aunty as he is the 3rd son she has now lost. R.I.P. Brian xx.”

The incident took place on Fettes Row. Picture; Google

The 56-year-old was a regular in The Doo’cot pub on Ferry Road and is understood to have had two sons.

Manager John Grant, who stressed he had only known Mr Crawford for a brief time, said: “He was a good chap who liked doing crosswords.

“He was quiet, and kept to himself. He liked to place a bet at the bookies now and then. Some of his friends come in here.

“He wasn’t a heavy drinker. He would have maybe a couple of pints, sit down and do his crosswords.

“News of his death came as a real shock.”

Witnesses said a woman from a business on Dundas Street rushed to the side of the stricken worker to administer CPR until the ambulance arrived.

Fettes Row was sealed off to traffic, with uniformed officers standing guard at a door to the flats for several hours.

One horrified neighbour, who did not wish to be named, reported hearing a noise and then seeing the body of a man on the ground when he looked through his back window.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “The man was found injured behind buildings on Fettes Row. Emergency services attended. However, the man later succumbed to his injuries.

“Inquiries are currently ongoing, but the circumstances are not believed to be suspicious. A report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.”

The death comes three years after a workman was found dead in an Edinburgh back garden after falling out of a top-floor flat window.

Mark Paterson, 32, from Dalkeith, was carrying out work on a window when he fell to the ground at the back of Inverleith Row flats.