Rapist who stalked woman while on bail is jailed

John Gibson
John Gibson

A RAPIST who was freed on bail before launching a stalking campaign against a second victim has been jailed for seven years.

Hospital worker John Gibson bombarded a woman with phone calls before raping her in her home. But after he was released on bail following the sex attack he then turned his attention to a second woman whom he targeted posting notes through her door and loitering at her front gate.

A judge told Gibson at the High Court in Edinburgh: “Your behaviour, as described in evidence, was despicable and very distressing for your victims.”

Craig Scott QC said it was worrying that after imposing himself on the first woman he had blatantly and forcefully exploited the situation by raping her in her home.

The judge said that the “twisted attitude” Gibson, 48, had shown towards his victims deserved appropriate punishment.

The judge told the former operating theatre worker he would be placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely.

The rape victim said Gibson had turned up at her home in Dalkeith and offered to carry out some gardening work.

The woman, 55, said she had offered him £40 before he left and returned later to ask for her phone number. He later called her asking if he could come round with a bottle of wine.

She said she had been taken aback and added: “It just seemed really unusual.”

She went shopping but found that when she returned her phone was ringing constantly. She checked where the calls were coming from and found it was a number Gibson had given her.

The woman told the court that Gibson then arrived at her home with two bottles of wine in a bag and told her he wanted to talk. He went into her living room and asked her to get two glasses before carrying out the attack.

Gibson appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on August 28, 2015, but was released on bail.

He then turned his attention to a second woman who became anxious and scared by his persistent interest in her.

After he turned up at her home in Dalkeith with a bottle of wine urging her to let him in, but the 25-year-old said she pressed a panic alarm.

The woman used her mobile phone to record events and asked him what he wanted. Gibson offered to “share a glass of wine”, but the woman told him: “No thanks.”

Gibson had denied the raping the older woman and engaging in behaviour causing her fear and alarm on August 28 in 2015 and taking part in conduct that caused fear and alarm to the second victim between January and June last year while on bail.

He was convicted of the offences as well as shouting and swearing at police officers on June 3 last year.

Advocate depute Bruce Erroch told the court that Gibson, formerly of Jean Armour Drive, Dalkeith, was an NHS health care practitioner at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Defence solicitor advocate John Keenan told the court that Gibson appreciated that a prison sentence was inevitable but continued to deny all the charges.