Residents in shock after flat fire started 'by a group of teenagers'

Four people had to be treated with oxygen after teenage yobs torched a stairwell in an Edinburgh apartment block.

Sunday, 19th January 2020, 2:43 pm
Updated Sunday, 19th January 2020, 2:50 pm
Residents horrified after a fire, allegedly started by teens, ripped through their apartment building in Magdalene Drive, Edinburgh pictures: JPI Media

A resident said the fire was 'started by a group of young teenagers' in a stairwell in Magdalene Drive at about 11pm on Friday causing black smoke to billow through the property.

Pictures of the scene show the fire caused major damage to the interior.

Read More

Read More
Attempted murder leaves young Scottish man in a critical condition

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"The fire spread within the stairwell filling with black smoke.

"Higher flats were trapped due to the travelling thick black smoke which the fire rescue team evaluated as ‘toxic'."

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "Officers attended a report of a fire in a common close in Magdalene drive, Edinburgh.

"The fire was extinguished by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and two adults and four children were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

"The fire is being treated as wilful and enquiries are ongoing."