Scottish SPCA warn Edinburgh dog owners after suspected poisonings around Dania Court

The SSPCA have asked dog owners to stay vigilant, after three dogs have died after eating items off the ground around Dania Court in Edinburgh.

Tuesday, 26th October 2021, 10:34 am

Scotland’s animal welfare charity was contacted by a member of the public on 25 October after a third dog in the area fell seriously ill and died after eating a dog treat off the ground.

Two other dogs from the same street have reportedly died in similar circumstances recently.

Read More

Read More
COP 26: Sir David Attenborough warns leaders ahead of Glasgow summit

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The SSPCA have been informed about a string of suspected dog poisonings around Dania Court in Edinburgh.

Scottish SPCA inspector Stuart Murray said: “This is an incredibly sad outcome and our thoughts are with the dogs’ owners at this difficult time.

“During the most recent incident the dog became very ill and passed away within an hour of eating what looked like a dental stick. The owner sought medical treatment as soon as they realised something was wrong but unfortunately the poor dog couldn’t be saved.

“The vet couldn’t pin point exactly what the substance was but said it was fast acting and would have caused the dog a lot of pain.

“Attempting to deliberately harm an animal is a criminal offence.

“We’d ask all pet owners in the area to be vigilant and report anything suspicious to our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”

Police Scotland have been contacted for comment.

A message from the Editor:Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.