Security boss jailed despite councillor’s plea

David Walker asked for John Lindsay to be spared jail
David Walker asked for John Lindsay to be spared jail
Share this article
Have your say

A SECURITY boss has been locked up for the “inhumane” torture of a vulnerable young man – despite a councillor’s plea not to jail him.

John Lindsay and two accomplices subjected Jamie Alexander to a terrifying 90-minute ordeal in July last year.

The badly beaten 20-year-old had boiling water poured over him before being dumped in a kennel with two large dogs.

The victim – who was also burned with cigarettes – was set upon after wandering into Lindsay’s unlocked home having lost his train ticket and was looking for directions.

Lindsay yesterday returned to the High Court in Glasgow after admitting carrying out the savage attack.

The News revealed how Edinburgh City Council elected member David Walker, right, had written a letter asking for the 52-year-old to be spared jail.

But Lord Turnbull ignored the plea – which he branded “preposterous” – saying a significant prison sentence was needed. Yesterday, he was good to his word, jailing Lindsay for seven years. He also ordered him to pay his victim £5000 in compensation.

The judge said Lindsay had behaved in an “inhumane manner” which involved the “humiliation” of his victim.

At last month’s hearing, Lord Turnbull was handed a letter from Cllr Walker on official Edinburgh City Council notepaper. In it the Labour councillor for the Craigmillar and Portobello ward asked for Lindsay not to be jailed.

But, in an outspoken attack, the judge said he had never “seen anything more ridiculous” in his legal career.

He ordered his clerk to make Walker aware of the full facts of the case and asked for an apology. It is believed the councillor has since written to apologise.

The irate judge also told Lindsay – director of JSL Security Services – that given his background “taking the law into his own hands” made the offence more serious.

The court earlier heard how Mr Alexander lost his return ticket from Falkirk to Edinburgh, had no money and had been wandering the streets for days.

He was sleeping rough and eventually found himself outside Lindsay’s home on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Mr Alexander walked into the unlocked house seeking directions. He was asked by Lindsay’s wife, Helen: “What are you doing in my house?”

She told him to sit on a bench and phoned her husband, who turned up with two men.

The trio confronted Mr Alexander, who was repeatedly kicked and punched before he was dragged to a kennel area. There, his wrists and ankles were bound before he was subjected to a torture ordeal which involved him being sliced with a knife, having cigarettes stubbed out on him and boiling water poured on his naked groin.

The court heard the victim screamed in pain and reckoned he was “going to be killed”.

After 90-minutes, Mr Alexander was given a rag to wipe blood away before being ordered not to tell police of his ordeal.

The Evening News revealed last month the politician has been reported to the Standards Commission over defiant remarks he made about defending the torture thug at a council meeting.