Sex attacker caught after workmate saw him on CCTV

The High Court heard Sebastian Staniewski was identified via CCTV footage. Picture: John Devlin
The High Court heard Sebastian Staniewski was identified via CCTV footage. Picture: John Devlin
Share this article
Have your say

A SEX attacker was caught after a workmate recognised him on CCTV and called police, a court heard.

Sebastian Staniewski pounced on a young music teacher shortly after she got off a bus in Edinburgh’s Leith area in April this year.

The 20 year-old remained at large for weeks until police released footage of the man they believed could be the culprit.

A colleague soon identified him and it lead to the Polish kitchen porter being arrested.

Staniewski is now behind bars after he pled guilty to a charge of assault with intent to rape at the High Court in Glasgow.

He will learn his fate when he returns to the dock next month.

The court heard how the 23 year-old victim was attacked on April 14 having earlier gone for a drink with friends in the capital.

Staniewski grabbed her as she walked in Edinburgh’s Henderson Street and put his hand over her mouth.

He then forced her in a headlock along the street, but the woman bravely struggled and managed to punch him in the crotch.

However, Staniewski continued to molest her and the victim thought she was going to be raped.

The court heard the teacher felt “tired and hopeless”, but was still able to cry for help.

Her ordeal eventually ended when a witness heard what was happening and the Pole fled.

But, Staniewski was not immediately caught and it was on May 29 police upped a media appeal to catch the attacker.

A colleague then recognised him from CCTV footage released of him boarding a bus and alerted officers.

The court heard Staniewski was soon arrested, but appeared to become upset when quizzed about the attack.

Lady Rae placed Staniewski – who has been in Scotland since 2012 – on the sex offenders register.

She told him: “This is a very serious offence. It is fortunate that a witness heard this lady’s pleas for help otherwise one does not know what may have happened.”

Staniewski was remanded in custody and will be sentenced next month.