Shaun Woodburn killer was on '˜campaign of violence'

POLICE say the youth convicted of killing Shaun Woodburn had embarked on 'a campaign of violence' throughout Edinburgh on Hogmanay.

Thursday, 12th October 2017, 6:39 pm
Updated Monday, 11th December 2017, 11:50 pm
Shaun Woodburn.

The 17-year-old was found guilty at Dunfermline High Court of the reduced charge of culpable homicide following the incident that caused Shaun’s death outside Gladstone’s pub in Leith in the early hours of Sunday, January 1.

He also been convicted of a number of other assaults.

The 17-year-old, along with his friend Mohammed Zakariyah, went on a violent rampage in the city throughout the evening which culminated in the death of Shaun.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Shaun Woodburn.

Just before and just after midnight at Warrender Park Road and Bruntsfield Links, the 17-year-old and Mohammed Zakariyah assaulted a number of members of the public, including serious assault to severe injury, permanent disfigurement and endangerment of the lives of two young males.

Mohammed Zakariyah pleaded guilty to two assaults and a breach of the peace.

These males and their friends then travelled to the Leith area where the 17-year-old subsequently assaulted a man in Great Junction Street.

Their final act of violence was during an altercation outside Gladstone’s Public House with people leaving the pub, which led to the 17-year-old male inflicting the fatal blow that led to Shaun’s death.

Shaun Woodburn.

Detective Inspector Stuart Alexander of the Major Investigation Team said: “My thoughts are with Shaun’s family at this traumatic time for them.

“They have had to endure the process of a trial and not only hear horrific details but see some harrowing footage of what happened to their loved one that night.

“He was out celebrating the New Year when his life was sadly taken from him.

“On a night when the majority of the country were out celebrating and having fun to bring in the New Year these boys went on the rampage, committing a significant number of random and unprovoked serious assaults on innocent members of the public in different areas of the city.

“Some of these victims were seriously injured and left with permanent disfigurements. They required hospital and dental treatment and were extremely traumatised by these incidents.

“Shaun’s family have asked me to request that their privacy be respected at this difficult time.

“Police Scotland is committed to bringing these type of offenders to justice and will continue to work tirelessly to prevent people like this bringing fear to our communities.”