Teen charged with culpable homicide after death of girl, 15, on Calton Hill

Have your say

A TEENAGER has appeared in court charged with culpable homicide following the death of schoolgirl Mhari O’Neill on Calton Hill.

Ewan Fulton, 18, from Livingston, was detained on Monday by detectives probing the circumstances surrounding 15-year-old Mhari’s tragic death.

Mhari O'Neill.

Mhari O'Neill.

READ MORE: Man, 18, charged over death of 15-year-old Mhari O'Neill on Calton Hill

It is understood the culpable homicide charge relates to an alleged failure to seek medical help for Mhari after she fell unconscious from drinking alcohol.

The teen’s body was found on Calton Hill on December 8 last year, after she had been reported missing in the early hours of that morning.

Tributes later were paid to the "much loved" girl from Willowbrae and flowers and cards in her memory were placed on a bench at the beauty spot..

Mhari O'Neill

Mhari O'Neill

Police Scotland revealed early on Tuesday that a man had been arrested and charged in connection with the death.

Detective Inspector Susan Balfour, who led the investigation, said: "Our sympathies remain with Mhari's family at this time.

"We will now begin the work to prepare this case for court and I would like to thank all members of the public who came forward with information to assist the investigation."

Following Mhari’s death police revealed the Portobello High School pupil met a friend near Waverley Station in the early afternoon of Friday, December 7 and the pair spent time in the city before making their way up to Calton Hill.

It is understood the pair were together at the city centre landmark until around 11pm on Friday when Mhari’s friend headed for home.

Speaking during a police press conference on Calton Hill at the time, Detective Inspector Balfour said officers were investigating the possibility that the two friends had been drinking and that Mhari had later fallen asleep and died from the cold, possibly succumbing to hypothermia.

In a separate statement, DI Balfour said Mhari’s family had been “absolutely devastated” at their loss, adding: “They can’t believe their daughter is not coming home.

“They equally need that information about what happened in the hours leading to her death.

During his appearance in private on petition, Fulton made no plea and was granted bail to appear in court at a later date.