Thug broke into disabled man’s home and robbed him

The High Court in Glasgow heard how the thug demanded money. Picture: John Devlin
The High Court in Glasgow heard how the thug demanded money. Picture: John Devlin
Have your say

A MAN who smashed his way into a disabled male’s house and then forced him to withdraw cash from his bank 
account has been jailed.

Gary Anderson, 39, was sentenced to four years and three months for forcing his way into 57-year-old Anthony Giorgianni’s flat in April 2014.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how the thug demanded money and forced his victim to withdraw £90 from a cash machine.

Anderson, of Westfield Road, in Gorgie, pleaded guilty to 
assault and robbery at the 
High Court in Glasgow last month.

Sentence had been deferred until yesterday for the court to obtain reports.

Judge Lord Brodie told 
Anderson at the High Court in Edinburgh that he had no other option but to send him to prison.

He added: “You picked on an extremely vulnerable man causing him much fear and distress.

“The sentence of the court is custody.

“You will be imprisoned for a total of four years and three months.”

At earlier proceedings, prosecution lawyer Jim Keegan QC told the court that Mr Giorgianni, who has a debilitating stomach condition, liver disease and walks with the aid of sticks, was at home on April 18 last year.

He heard a loud banging noise followed by a crashing sound – Anderson then entered into the flat at around 2pm.

Mr Keegan previously told the court: “The accused rushed towards Mr Giorgianni and repeatedly demanded money from him. “Mr Giorgianni was pleading with Anderson not to hurt him.”

The court heard that Mr Giorgianni was an acquaintance of Anderson, who lived nearby.

During the ordeal in his flat, Anderson told Mr Giorgianni he would not be hurt if he gave him money.

The victim agreed to go to a cash machine in Gorgie Road by taxi with Anderson and withdrew £90 which he 
handed to Anderson.

As Anderson made off with the cash, Mr Giorgianni was seen looking visibly upset and frightened by a passer-by, the court heard.

Mr Giorgianni told her that he had been robbed and pointed to Anderson. She followed Anderson, noted down the 
address of the flat he went into and told the police.

When detectives viewed CCTV footage of the area they saw Anderson arriving at the victim’s flat and then 
leaving in a taxi with Mr Giorgianni.

The court was told that as a result of this incident, Mr Giorgianni was unable to 
return home for a considerable time and did not feel safe in his surroundings.

He was also unable to sleep, the judge heard.

Defence solicitor advocate Euan Roy told the court yesterday that his client wanted to apologise to Mr Giorgianni for his behaviour.

He added: “He deeply regrets his involvement in the matter and he is genuinely sorry.”