Vigil to remember Mikaeel Kular one year on

Mikaeel Kular.
Mikaeel Kular.
Have your say

A CANDLELIT vigil will be held to mark the first anniversary of the death of tragic toddler Mikaeel Kular.

Residents have organised the poignant event on Saturday, when members of the public are invited to remember the three-year-old, who was killed by his mother, Rosdeep Adekoya, and hidden in woodlands near her sister’s house in Kirkcaldy.

The solemn vigil will take place at Linear Park in Muirhouse at 6pm – the site where a shrine heaped with teddy bears, candles and cards was created in memory of the youngster last January.

Robert Pearson, a spokesman for Tenants and Residents in Muirhouse (Trim), said: “The vigil is being organised by some residents who wanted to do something to mark the date.

“They approached us asking for some help to promote the event so more people would know about it.

“They hoped doing something like this would bring the community together again.”

There will be a minute’s silence at 6.15pm, which people are urged to take part in at home if they are unable to attend the vigil.

The idea was welcomed by members of the community who committed to the desperate search for Mikaeel.

Hayley Clements and friend Cara Cameron helped to organise the “Send Off Mikaeel” event last January, where more than 1000 people lined the banks of the Firth of Forth and released balloons to mark Mikaeel’s death.

Hayley’s husband, Dean, 26, said: “I think the vigil is a great idea.

“It was such a difficult thing to go through for everyone.

“But we have seen how much people can come together.

“Something like this can help make something positive from something negative.”

Mikaeel’s disappearance rocked the Drylaw community and hundreds of neighbours joined the huge hunt for the toddler, who was reported missing by his mother on January 16 last year.

Coastguards scoured the shores in the Cramond and Drylaw areas, while scores of residents searched through the night as temperatures plummeted to try to find the missing boy.

His body was discovered by police the next day and Adekoya was arrested.

The 34-year-old was jailed in August for 11 years after she admitted a charge of culpable homicide.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard how Adekoya gave Mikaeel a beating after he was sick following a trip to Nando’s.

She then kept him away from his nursery and failed to call a doctor for three days as he died in agony from 40 separate injuries.