World’s End accused ‘left girls alive after sex’

Christine Eadie and Helen Scott
Christine Eadie and Helen Scott
Have your say

A man accused of murdering two teenage girls 37 years ago claimed they were “alive and unharmed” when he left their company, a court has heard.

Angus Sinclair said he had “consensual sexual intercourse” with Christine Eadie and Helen Scott in a vehicle in Holyrood Park and later left to go fishing.

The details emerged at the High Court in Livingston during the third week of the trial of Sinclair, 69, who denies raping and murdering the girls.

He is accused of carrying out the attacks along with his brother-in-law, Gordon Hamilton, who is now dead.

Christine and Helen, both 17, were last seen at the World’s End pub in the Royal Mile on October 15, 1977.

Christine’s body was found the following afternoon at Gosford Bay in Aberlady, while Helen’s body was discovered a few hours later in a wheat field near Haddington.

Sinclair’s version of events was read out to the jury of nine women and six men during the evidence of forensic scientist Geraldine Davidson, who works with England-based company Cellmark.

The words, described as Sinclair’s “recollection”, are contained in a defence report presented to Ms Davidson on Monday, prosecutor Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland said.

The section, read to the jury by the witness and prosecutor, stated: “Mr Sinclair’s recollection is that within his caravanette in Holyrood Park he first had consensual sexual intercourse with Christine followed by Helen, and that Mr Hamilton had sex with both girls in the opposite order.

“Angus Sinclair claims that Gordon Hamilton then drove him back to East Lothian as he wanted to continue fishing and that when he left the girls were alive and unharmed.”

Sinclair has submitted three special defences: incrimination – blaming his brother-in-law; alibi – saying he was fishing on the banks of the Firth of Forth near Cockenzie Power Station at the time; and consent to sexual intercourse.