Cyclist dies in horror crash

Police and forensic teams at the scene in Lanark Road
Police and forensic teams at the scene in Lanark Road
Have your say

A CYCLIST was killed in a rush-hour crash after careering into a parked car as a lorry was overtaking.

The 43-year-old man was rushed to hospital following the crash on Lanark Road but died of his injuries.

Police later detained the lorry driver in connection with the crash, which happened close to the Dovecot Grove junction at around 8am yesterday. He was released last night, pending further inquiries.

Police believe the cyclist was initially hit by the overtaking lorry, which may have caused him to crash into the rear of the parked Mazda. The lorry did not stop at the scene.

Residents have spoken of their shock at the tragedy.

One local resident, a 40-year-old man who didn’t want to be named, said: “I didn’t see it happen because I was in the kitchen, but I looked out the window at about 8am and it looked very serious.

“We could see police trying to give the cyclist CPR on the road. He had a blanket over him. It’s just a real shame.”

Khalida Hussain, who also lives on the street, said: “I was horrified when I found out what had happened just outside our doorstep. It’s really sad.”

The cyclist’s bronze Cannondale bike could still be seen lying on the pavement yesterday morning and wasn’t removed until around 12.30pm following forensic examinations. The Mazda RX-8, which was damaged at the rear, was removed around 30 minutes later.

A team of forensic officers was later seen conducting a detailed examination of a lorry which had been blocked off by police cones outside The Maltings flats in nearby Slateford Road.

Inspector Steven Boyle said: “The man was cycling down the hill and we think he has come into contact with a large goods vehicle, which has caused him to collide with the back of a parked car.

“The driver of the large goods vehicle failed to stop.

“It would appear that the large goods vehicle has been overtaking the cyclist and has come into contact with him.

“The impact caused him to collide with the back of the parked car. There is no suggestion that the rider was doing anything wrong.”

A police spokesman later said a man had been detained as the investigation continued.

“We would urge anyone who was in the area of Lanark Road yesterday morning who saw what happened, to contact police as a matter of urgency.

“In particular, we want to speak to anyone who noticed an articulated lorry with a white cab and a red flat-bed trailer being driven in the area.”

Retired Liberton High headmaster Joe Vettese, who lives in Lanark Road, said the crash highlighted the need to reduce the speed limit from 40mph to 30mph. He said: “There are two speed cameras on the road but between the two cameras it’s a free-for-all.

“I wrote a letter to the traffic department at the police a couple of years ago saying the speed was excessive and why don’t they slow it down to a 30mph limit. For a built-up area, 40mph is excessive.”

He added: “Any accident which proves to be fatal is always a terrible shock. There’s a lot of traffic on this road and everybody has to take great care. I think it would be absolutely essential to reduce the speed limit.”