Doctors ‘missed chance’ over crash driver’s health

Glasgow's George Square, where the bin lorry killed six people. Picture: PA
Glasgow's George Square, where the bin lorry killed six people. Picture: PA
Have your say

The fatal accident inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash has heard that it is possible there was a “missed opportunity” to get an accurate account of the driver’s previous blackout when he was at the wheel of bus.

Harry Clarke, 58, was behind the wheel of the council truck when it went out of control three days before Christmas in Glasgow city centre last year.

Erin McQuade, 18, and her grandparents Jack Sweeney, 68, and Lorraine Sweeney, 69, from Dumbarton, were struck and killed by the lorry on 
December 22.

Stephenie Tait, 29, and Jacqueline Morton, 51, both from Glasgow, and Gillian Ewing, 52, a mother from Mortonhall, also died.

The inquiry looking into the tragedy has been told witnesses reported that the driver appeared to lose consciousness at the wheel.

It has also been hearing about an earlier episode where Mr Clarke fainted while 
working as a driver for First Bus in 2010.

Mr Clarke attended his GP the same day as well as visiting Dr Kenneth Lyons, the medical adviser to the company, the 
following day on April 8. The inquiry at Glasgow Sheriff Court was shown notes made by Dr Lyons of the consultation, on which he said his 
recollection was based.

Dr Lyons, 61, said Mr Clarke told him he had experienced “an episode of impaired consciousness” the previous day while at work and an onlooker had told him it lasted “five to ten seconds”.

The inquiry has previously heard evidence that the episode took place while he was on a stationary bus but 
yesterday it was told that Mr Clarke informed his GP it happened in a work canteen.

Dr Lyons said Mr Clarke told him paramedics were called and diagnosed a “vasovagal attack”.

He said Mr Clarke indicated his GP had agreed and advised him he did not need to inform the DVLA. The doctor then 
carried out a physical examination – including checking his pulse rate and heart rhythm – but said there was nothing to indicate an abnormality.

Dr Lyons said he would write to Mr Clarke’s GP and also decided Mr Clarke should not drive buses in the meantime.

Solicitor General Lesley Thomson QC put it to Dr Lyons: “It was a missed opportunity for two doctors to get the history a lot more accurate and to both understand they had been given differing accounts?”

Dr Lyons replied: “I now recognise in retrospect and with the benefit of hindsight.”

The court was shown a letter sent to Dr Lyons from a doctor at Mr Clarke’s GP surgery saying he had been “waiting in a hot environment” when he fainted.

The letter concluded that there were no further investigations planned and stated he was fit to return as a bus driver.

The inquiry is due to continue today.