Driver accused of attempted murder over car crash

The High Court, Edinburgh
The High Court, Edinburgh
Have your say

A MAN has gone on trial accused of attempting to murder a woman by deliberately hitting her with a car that he had been driving at ‘excessive’ speed.

Jamie Lee Carson, 24, is said to have knocked Robyn Devlin over in Murrayburn Road, Edinburgh, on April 13, 2013.

Prosecutors also claim that in the moments before the alleged collision, Mr Carson pointed his fingers at Miss Devlin as if they were a gun and shouted ‘Bang Bang.’

The claims were made in a legal document which was read to a jury on on the first day of proceedings against Mr Carson at the High Court in Edinburgh.

On Wednesday, the jury of nine men and six women heard the contents of the indictment which prosecutors brought against Mr Carson, of Dumbeg Park, Edinburgh.

He denies a total of five charges.

Prosecutors allege that on April 13, 2013, at Murrayburn Road, Edinburgh, Mr Carson drove a car whilst over the drink driving limit.

The Crown also alleges that on the same date and the same location, Mr Carson behaved in a threatening or abusive manner which was likely to cause any reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm. The prosecution claims that he shouted and swore at Robyn Devlin and pointed his fingers at her as if they were a gun before shouting: “Bang Bang.”

Prosecutors also say that on the same date and at the same location, Mr Carson assaulted Robyn Devlin by ‘deliberately’ driving a car at ‘excessive’ speed at her before hitting her with the vehicle and knocking her to the ground.

The prosecution claims that alleged incident caused Miss Devlin to be injured, her life to be placed in danger and that he attempted to murder her.

The fourth charge states that on the same date and the same location and having struck a pedestrian, Mr Carson failed to stop his car and give his name and address to anybody who may have had reasonable grounds for wanting it.

The fifth charge states that on the same time and the same location, Mr Carson failed to report the accident at a police station or police officer within a reasonable time or within 24 hours of the alleged incident happening.

He has pleaded not guilty to all five charges.

Mr Carson is represented by solicitor advocate Brian Gilfedder.

The trial before Lord Kinclaven continues on Thursday.