A gag about a chocolate bar has been named the funniest joke of the Edinburgh fringe for 2013.
Rob Auton’s winning wisecrack was one of 20 shortlisted by a group of comedy experts before it was put to the fans’ vote.
The 30-year-old from York, who has been doing stand-up since 2008, won almost a quarter of the votes (24%) for his one-liner: “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
Other contenders for the top prize included Alex Horne’s joke “I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying”, and Alfie Moore’s gag: “I’m in a same-sex marriage... the sex is always the same.”
More familiar names in the top 10 included Tim Vine and Marcus Brigstocke.
Auton, who recently quit his job selling paintbrushes in London’s Soho to perform full-time, said: “I am honoured to receive this award and just pleased that a joke that tackles the serious issue of the invention of a new chocolate bar can be laughed at by the people of Britain.”
The judges sat through hours of material before nominating their favourite three gags for the shortlist.
The award, officially known as Dave’s Funniest Joke of The Fringe, has been going for six years.
Steve North, general manager of TV channel Dave which sponsors the award, said: “Now celebrating its sixth year, Dave’s Funniest Joke of The Fringe continues to highlight the best one-liners coming out of the Fringe. This year’s Top 10 is quick, sharp, witty and clever, and Rob is a very worthy winner.”
THE TOP TEN FUNNIEST JOKES OF THE FRINGE
1. Rob Auton - “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
2. Alex Horne - “I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying.”
3. Alfie Moore - “I’m in a same-sex marriage… the sex is always the same.”
4. Tim Vine - “My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him ‘Don’t be Sicily.’”
5. Gary Delaney - “I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell.”
6. Phil Wang - “The Pope is a lot like Doctor Who. He never dies, just keeps being replaced by white men.”
7. Marcus Brigstocke - “You know you are fat when you hug a child and it gets lost.”
8. Liam Williams - “The universe implodes. No matter.”
9. Bobby Mair - “I was adopted at birth and have never met my mum. That makes it very difficult to enjoy any lapdance.”
10. Chris Coltrane - “The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately.”