Teachers didn’t take head injury pupil to hospital

Mum Lynne with Chris, who was attacked in the school playground. Picture: Greg Macvean
Mum Lynne with Chris, who was attacked in the school playground. Picture: Greg Macvean
Have your say

A TEENAGER whose head was stamped on during a playground attack was sent home rather than taken to hospital because it was half-day Friday, his mother has claimed.

Chris Marshall, 13, began vomiting and was rushed by his mother to hospital, where he was admitted overnight with head injuries.

The schoolboy was said to have been “beaten black and blue” during the assault at Gorgie Mills School which caters for pupils with emotional and behavioural difficulties. He was discharged from hospital the next day after being treated for concussion.

The city council today insisted Chris’ family had been contacted immediately.

But his mother Lynne, 40, blasted staff for failing to report the incident to police, or escorting her injured son to hospital because the school was closing early. She claims the school fell short “in their duty of care”.

“When Chris came home he started being sick all over the house and because it was a head injury we did what anyone would do and take him straight to the hospital,” said Ms Marshall, who lives in the Inch.

“He had a cracking black eye and lumps on the head from where he was stomped on and punched. As a trained first aider, I know you always take someone for a check-up if they have a head injury and I don’t know why his school didn’t
follow this.

“The school said they didn’t want to wait for the police to arrive because they didn’t know how long it would take and it was a Friday afternoon and so would call on Monday.”

It is understood hospital trips from schools in Edinburgh are considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of senior staff.

A Police Scotland spokesman confirmed they were investigating an assault on a 13-year-old boy within school grounds.

“The youth was taken to hospital where he was treated overnight before being released,” they said.

A council spokesman said a pupil had been suspended following the incident. “A pupil was excluded from the school and trained members of staff gave Chris first aid,” he said.

“His family were contacted immediately and a member of staff took him home, where advice was given to his family who we are supporting. The police have been notified and we are carrying out our own investigation into what