Your pick of the city’s night out
• FILM: Brave. Bravely bucking the trend of typical animated blockbusters, Disney-Pixar’s latest offering finds them roaming in the gloaming with their first feisty, red-headed heroine who wants her freedom in tenth century Scotland.
Brave finds archery-mad Princess Merida’s (Kelly Macdonald) quarrel with her father and mother, King Fergus (Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson), take a magical twist as she is plunged into a race against time that could see history repeating itself.
This is a story about mothers and daughters, Brenda Chapman and Mark Andrews’ script refusing to focus too much on minor characters or subplots, to ensure Merida and her mum remain the centre of attention.
Extended cameos for Julie Walters, Robbie Coltrane, Craig Ferguson and Kevin McKidd, increase the knockabout comedy, but there is some real drama at the heart of the film that will leave viewers of all ages with a tear in their eye.
Despite featuring every Scottish cliché in the book - haggis, kilts, cabers and even Oor Wullie’s catchphrase are all referenced - Pixar’s take on Scotland avoids being twee or condescending, thanks to a smart script that respects the country and its heritage.
It’s also easy to see why VisitScotland decided to plunge £7 million into promoting the film, with the hills, glens and forests looking stunning throughout following research trips that also took in Edinburgh Castle and the Fringe in 2006. Clocking in at a spry 93-minutes, Brave doesn’t outstay its welcome.Though not quite up to WALL-E or Toy Story standards, this is still one of the year’s best family films.
Various cinemas, times and prices
• CLASSICAL: Lunchtime Concert. Alison Turriff and Justin Connolly. St Giles’ Cathedral, Royal MIle, 12.15pm, free, 0131-226 0673
• MUSIC: Withered Hand. Edinburgh’s Dan Willson, aka Withered Hand, performs. The Queen’s Hall, Clerk Street, 8pm, £10, 0131-668 2019
• CLUB: Propaganda. Claiming to be the UK’s biggest indie night, Propaganda will doubtless rake in the Converse-and-cardigan mob. HMV Picturehouse, Lothian Road, 11pm, £5, 0844 847 1740
• ART: Edinburgh Art Festival. Various events. Visit edinburghartfestival.com