Family of Mikaeel Kular known to social services

Tributes to Mikaeel Kular in a park near his home in Ferry Gait Crescent.  Pic: Ian Rutherford
Tributes to Mikaeel Kular in a park near his home in Ferry Gait Crescent. Pic: Ian Rutherford
Share this article
Have your say

Mikaeel Kular was one of five siblings in a family that was known to social services.

Rosdeep Adekoya has three children aged nine, seven and six by her husband Omotoso Adekoya - from whom she is separated but not divorced.

On separating from her husband, Adekoya, who grew up in Fife, moved from their home in Granton, Edinburgh, to the house in Dunvegan Avenue, Kirkcaldy, where her son’s body was ultimately discovered.

It is owned by her mother and stepfather Harjinder and Bangerpat Krishnaswamy, and she and the children stayed there with her sister Pandeep Kular.

Adekoya became pregnant with Mikaeel and his twin sister, now four, after beginning a relationship with Zahid Saeed, a childhood friend.

The court heard she threatened to commit suicide after Saeed, who had a long-term partner, ended the affair.

Social services became involved before the birth of the twins as their mother intended to have them adopted.

They were placed in foster care aged three days old but Adekoya quickly changed her mind about the adoption.

The court heard social services continued to “keep an eye” on the family.

In May 2012 Adekoya’s attitude to looking after the children is said to have changed.

Advocate depute Alex Prentice said: “She started going out often in Edinburgh with her friends, drinking to excess.

“She put pressure on her mother and sister to look after the children while she was out, who often refused.”

Adekoya began asking her 14-year-old nephew to look after the children overnight, the court heard.

Her mother contacted social services on at least two occasions in May 2012 as a result.

In July that year Fife social services were alerted that she had left all the children at home in Dunvegan Avenue without proper supervision to go on a night-out with friends in Edinburgh.

The older children were taken in by their father while the twins were placed in emergency foster care.

They remained in the St Andrews area on a long-term foster placement and had regular contact with their mother.

They returned home to live with her in August 2013, by which point her children by her husband had also returned to her and the family had moved to Ferry Gait Crescent in Edinburgh.

The family was monitored by social services until December 2013, the court heard.

Mr Prentice said Mikaeel was generally “a healthy, happy little boy”.

He said: “While he was subject to social work involvement this had ceased by the time of his death and while there had been concerns for his welfare in terms of the accused going out and leaving him and his siblings without adequate supervision in the past, it is not the case that the concerns and attentions of social services were focused specifically on Mikaeel but more on the children and the family as a whole.”

The court heard Adekoya suffered from long-standing mental health problems, including depression, stress and anxiety.

She had struggled to come to terms with the death of her father, who died in front of her when she was 16.

Doctors concluded that she was suffering from a “mild to moderate” depressive disorder at the time of her son’s death but was not unfit to stand trial.

Adekoya was unemployed and a full-time mother at the time of her son’s death. She had recently completed a college course in beauty therapy.