Games star Lynsey Sharp feared losing her foot

Lynsey Sharp shows the medal she earned in Glasgow and the tactical reminder written on her hand. Picture: Neil Hanna
Lynsey Sharp shows the medal she earned in Glasgow and the tactical reminder written on her hand. Picture: Neil Hanna
Have your say

COMMONWEALTH Games star Lynsey Sharp has revealed how she feared she would lose her foot after suffering serious infection following surgery on her leg.

The 800-metre runner beat the odds to compete at Glasgow 2014 and then win silver despite suffering from a vomiting bug hours before the final.

But it emerged in a BBC Two Scotland documentary, Lynsey Sharp: Get Out Strong, Commit, that surgery to remove a tendon in her leg became “chronically infected” and the athlete was forced back on to the operating table to correct it.

“Even in March this year I was in hospital on an IV drip and antibiotics just to try to get the infection to settle down and get me through the season,” she said.

“I can remember at times thinking ‘what if I’m going to lose my foot?’, because the infection would flare up and it would become swollen and puffy.

“It was black around the area and there was pus coming out of it and I didn’t really know what was going to 

Sharp recovered sufficiently to qualify for Glasgow, then scraped into the final as a fastest loser despite falling ill and not eating for three days.

But on the night before the final she began vomiting and spent four hours on a drip in a clinic in the athletes’ village.

In the documentary, to be broadcast on Monday, she reveals her parents feared she might collapse during the race.

She said: “By the time I got to the semi-final, which didn’t really go to plan, I had zero energy.

“I even said after the semi-final ‘something remarkable is going to have to change between now and when I come out tomorrow to run the final’.

“I actually deteriorated from then. I woke in the middle of the night with a feeling I was going to be sick.

“I ran straight to the toilet in the room.

“I went to the polyclinic in the village and they were great and made me feel a lot better.

“I was able to leave there about 5.30 on the morning of my race.

“It was just ridiculous because I’d had so many problems with my foot and I’d got myself to the Commonwealths which was a huge thing in itself. I remember thinking ‘I’m not going to let this thing stop me’.

The documentary, screening at 10pm, is named after the motivational words she scrawled on her hand in the final

“I’d sum up this season with one word – and that’s ‘miracle’,” said the Capital-based athlete.