Girl, 14, ‘left for dead’ after gang attack

Courtney Summersgill was rushed to the ERI. Picture: Greg Macvean
Courtney Summersgill was rushed to the ERI. Picture: Greg Macvean
Have your say

A teenage girl was rushed to hospital after a gang of girls “left her for dead” on a disused rail track.

Courtney Summersgill was kicked, punched, bitten and spat on before being battered unconscious during the vicious attack.

The 14-year-old was then left lying in the dirt for over an hour before she was found by a passing dog walker last Saturday night.

Disgusted parents Steven, 41, and Michelle, from Rosewell, Midlothian, have branded the attackers as “feral animals” following the horrific incident.

Mum Michelle, 37, said: “I am absolutely disgusted by this – it was a deliberate attack to disfigure my daughter.

“She was just larking about with her pals when this lot turned up. Her pals had left to go home and Courtney was about to do the same when they jumped her for no reason.

“One of the gang was a boy but the rest were all teenage girls. They acted just like feral animals as they laid into her while she was on the ground unable to protect herself.

“Her face was a total mess and I just hope they catch them soon as I want them locked up for what they have done.”

Courtney had been with friends at the isolated rail track near to her home when the gang launched the vicious attack on the unsuspecting teen at around 9pm on Saturday night.

One female thug punched Courtney to the ground before sitting on her chest and continuing to land blows aimed at her face, before four others then joined in the attack by landing kicks and punches aimed at the second year school pupil’s head.

And as she lay drifting in and out of consciousness one brute bent down and bit her in the cheek before the gang spat on their prone victim as they walked away laughing.

Courtney, who admits her and her friends had drunk some vodka that evening, added: “We were all having a laugh and then most of my friends left to go home. I was about to do the same and one of the girls then punched me out of the blue.

“Everything is a bit hazy after that, but I remember about five of them kicking and punching me in the face. I was so scared as they just wouldn’t stop.

“I managed to get up and try to run away but the boy who was there ran after me and dragged me back by my hair and they started on me again.

“The last thing I remember before blacking out was one of the girls leaning over me and biting me in the face, and them spitting on me as they walked away.”

Dad Steven, a customer relations officer, added: “Courtney was so badly beaten I couldn’t even recognise my own daughter when I saw her.

“She had terrible bruising on her face and body and a big bite mark on her face - these animals basically left her for dead.

“If it hadn’t been for the guy out walking his dog who knows how long she would have lain there and anything could have happened to her. I was actually out looking for her when I got the call she had been assaulted.”

Courtney subsequently spent three hours at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary having treatment to her injuries.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Police in Midlothian are investigating after reports of an assault on a 14-year-old girl in Rosewell, Midlothian, on Saturday. Enquiries are ongoing.”