Girlfriend found murdered man in ‘pool of blood’

Kirsty Nelson wept in court as she remembered finding Lee Duncan. Picture: Colin Hattersley
Kirsty Nelson wept in court as she remembered finding Lee Duncan. Picture: Colin Hattersley
Have your say

THE girlfriend of a murder victim wept as she recalled finding his body slumped on the floor in a “big pool of blood”.

Kirsty Nelson found the body of Lee Duncan, 31, in his Tollcross flat following a row the previous evening.

The 33-year-old ran down the stairs and told friend and neighbour Gary Parker: “I think he’s dead.”

The mum-of-one said Parker, who is on trial accused of the murder, went up to Mr Duncan’s flat and returned to tell her, “Yeah, I think he’s dead too”, before calling an 

At the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday, Ms Nelson said that Mr Duncan was on a prescription for methadone, and was selling Valium and cocaine, mostly to residents in his common stair in Lauriston Place.

On the day before his body was found, Ms Nelson said she had been smoking crack cocaine with Mr Duncan, who was dealing the Class A substance, and two neighbours.

That evening, Mr Duncan called to apologise for not spending enough time with her. Ms Nelson said he sounded “out his face”.

She said: “I woke up the next morning and noticed there were no calls or texts from Lee. That was very unusual. I phoned him and it kept ringing out. Lee 
always answered his phone.”

Ms Nelson said that she called Parker, who told her he did not know where Mr Duncan was. She told the court she listened over her mobile phone as Parker went upstairs to knock the door and shout for Mr Duncan.

Growing concerned, and thinking maybe he had been arrested by police, Ms Nelson went to Mr Duncan’s front door and found it was unlocked.

She said: “I looked in the bedroom and Lee was lying at the side of the bed in a pool of blood.

“The TV was on and his face was all black, like blood had trickled down his face and dried in. Underneath Lee was a big pool of blood on the carpet.”

Ms Nelson told the court she began seeing the victim in October 2010. She admitted he attacked her on the Valentine’s Day before his murder and spent a night in police cells.

Bail conditions banned him from seeing her, but they met up in secret to avoid being caught by police.

She also told the court Mr Duncan had received a number of threatening texts in the weeks before his death, including one saying he would “feel a lovely length of Sheffield now going in and out your body” – slang for being stabbed.

Ms Nelson said her boyfriend and Parker had been in a fight sparked by a row over cannabis in the weeks before the murder although she acknowledged they had become “pals” again.

Parker, 45, denies murdering Mr Duncan by repeatedly hitting him with a claw hammer and compressing his neck with a belt or cable on February 24, 2011. Parker, now of Guardwell Glen, Gilmerton, has lodged papers in court blaming two other men for the murder.

The trial continues.